Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like Systemd Will Win The Debian Init Battle

Phoronix: It Looks Like Systemd Will Win The Debian Init Battle

While an official announcement has yet to be issued by the Debian technical committee, yesterday's Debian init system vote started by Bdale Garbee has come out in favor of systemd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm Curious about Canonical's future. Ubuntu stuff seems to stay Ubuntu only.

Comment

At least a decision has been made - that is usually the important thing. Both Upstart and SystemD would technically have worked as an init system.

To be fair as a basis for a server distribution, the Red Hat technology is probably slightly preferable as that's the platform all the companies will be targeting. I don't really think that anyone really thought any other solution was going to be chosen.

Canonical need to work with other people more. Note that Red Hat seem happy to let Ubuntu "own" the desktop space - they could quite easily be trying to squash Ubuntu with Fedora but they are have chosen to position it as the "cutting edge/pro developer" Linux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        I'm Curious about Canonical's future. Ubuntu stuff seems to stay Ubuntu only.
        I believe they'll do it sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          At least a decision has been made - that is usually the important thing. Both Upstart and SystemD would technically have worked as an init system.

To be fair as a basis for a server distribution, the Red Hat technology is probably slightly preferable as that's the platform all the companies will be targeting. I don't really think that anyone really thought any other solution was going to be chosen.

Canonical need to work with other people more. Note that Red Hat seem happy to let Ubuntu "own" the desktop space - they could quite easily be trying to squash Ubuntu with Fedora but they are have chosen to position it as the "cutting edge/pro developer" Linux distro.
          own, or shoot themselves in the foot?

i think it's probably that redhat see no money in desktop, and don't want to deal with supporting lots of desktop users for free.

Comment

To be honest, I've started finding it rather fishy that Canonical would be trying to delay this as much as possible.

I mean, I can understand making sure that everything is in the best interests but they've already decided that systemd is.

The part about delaying to go back and change some wording in the voting ballot, sounds to be like a desperate attempt to buy time. Why would canonoical/Ubuntu try to buy time, you might ask? I'm thinking because if Debian switches to systemd right now, they could probably do it faster than Canonical/Ubuntu can and that could mean that Ubuntu loses a chunk of their users (both server and desktop) back to Debian.

So I'm thinking that it's not just this systemd vs. upstart going on, it's Canonical trying to buy some time so they're ready for a switch to systemd. Canonical is already heavily invested in upstart and they've got some Long-Term Support releases based on Upstart so they can't just quickly decide not to support upstart anymore like Debian can by kicking out a new release.

No matter what happens, Canonical is potentially going to get stuck supporting upstart for *YEARS* without getting much help from Debian devs.

Going back and reword the ballot? There's only 8 people that actually use the ballot! Just send them an e-mail~!

-- Debian user
            Last edited by Sidicas; 09 February 2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
              own, or shoot themselves in the foot?

i think it's probably that redhat see no money in desktop, and don't want to deal with supporting lots of desktop users for free.
              This. Pretty much.
              Ask any kind of support personnel at MS what it's like to be tech support for the rabble...

Glad to see systemd finally win the vote, even though it was to be expected. Now all that is missing is a vile blogpost from Shuttleworth, to make it truly official.

Comment

And what *REALLY* drives me up the wall is the suggestion that the voting ballot that bdale writes, no matter how he writes it, has some problem with it.

bdale was a Project Leader of Debian. In my opinion, some of these emails seem pretty insulting to somebody with such high credentials.

If there is still unresolved issues, ask for another vote! But don't go back and say that somebody like bdale should reword the ballot he made. Acting as if he doesn't even know how to make a proper voting ballot is just not cool.
                Last edited by Sidicas; 09 February 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Good to know systemd is chosen.
                  Systemd, systemd, systemd!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                    Now all that is missing is a vile blogpost from Shuttleworth, to make it truly official.
                    That's to be expected.

Comment

Working...
                    X