Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Gets AVX-512 Support Going In GCC

Phoronix: Intel Gets AVX-512 Support Going In GCC

The forthcoming release of the GCC 4.9 compiler will feature support for Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) although this instruction set extension won't be appearing on Intel CPUs for a while...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD

It would be really fun if AMD hurried up and released a CPU with AVX-512 instructions before Intel launches theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It would be really fun if AMD hurried up and released a CPU with AVX-512 instructions before Intel launches theirs.
      I guess... we already have 512- and 1024-bit SIMD instructions in the GPUs though.
      Test signature

Comment

I would be okay if they extended XOP to 256-bit and extended their internal SIMD ALU to 2x256-bit. AVX-512 is a rather interesting piece of nonsense. It's only benefit really comes down to cases where instruction decoding is the bottle-neck and not internal processing power or memory I/O, and when is that? It does close a lot of holes with new instructions, but the same holes has already been closed by AMD using XOP.
        AMD might be able to do better with a better GPGPU integration. But considering their reluctance to share any specifics on mantle and they haven't talked about anything else, I am not even sure they have anything up their sleeves.

Comment

AMD has a better solution in GPU integration. In fact I have to wonder why Intel is going this route as it seems to duplicate hardware already in the GPU. Of course GPUs don't have a huge instruction set to work with but it would make more sense to extend the GPU instruction set than to go this route.

Time will tell but I really beleive AMD is on the right track. Basically they are all in with HSA whereas Intel is very very wishy wash when it comes to GPU compute.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            AMD has a better solution in GPU integration. In fact I have to wonder why Intel is going this route as it seems to duplicate hardware already in the GPU. Of course GPUs don't have a huge instruction set to work with but it would make more sense to extend the GPU instruction set than to go this route.

Time will tell but I really beleive AMD is on the right track. Basically they are all in with HSA whereas Intel is very very wishy wash when it comes to GPU compute.
            Phi Co-Processor product.

Intel's Next Generation of Xeon Phi Coprocessors codenamed Knights Landing revealed. Will Feature AVX 512 and will break the 3 Teraflop barrier.

Comment

Working...
            X