Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Look Of The Phoronix Redesign

Phoronix: The Latest Look Of The Phoronix Redesign

Here's a look at the latest Phoronix.com site redesign. The evolutionary improvements to the site will soon begin rolling out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A little word of advice. Don't just blindly change the look of your site, don't make it all twitterriffic or redditarded, just don't. A new coat of "paint" is just going to annoy everyone (slashdot being an excellent example). Add improved functionality, then mold the site to work around the new functionality.

Comment

What's the difference? Green + more room for adverts? I'd suggest you keep the dark grey. As ParticleBoard says, changes usually throw people, and I personally think the grey looks better.

Comment

It does look good now, the design is also good, I'll continue using phoronix the same way, and i also think that the rest will too.

Comment

Trust your own design(s) and ignore the critics, especially those complaining about having to learn new ways to use the site and complain about color schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
            What's the difference? Green + more room for adverts? I'd suggest you keep the dark grey. As ParticleBoard says, changes usually throw people, and I personally think the grey looks better.
            Changes usually throw bad people. Really, it looks more modern now.

Comment

It looks pretty good now, sans the ALL CAPS titles which still creep me out.

Comment

The new design locks more clear, but I do not like the "Ops my caps look key got stuck" lock of the titles.
                And the second point is that plane white backgrounds hrut my eyes, so I would change all the white/gray one step more to black than they are now.
                Last edited by _ONH_; 11 February 2014, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Spam site

Phoronix looks like a typical spam site with more focus on SEO and lots of unnecessary redundant links from everywhere to everywhere than focused on user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Phoronix looks like a typical spam site with more focus on SEO and lots of unnecessary redundant links from everywhere to everywhere than focused on user experience.
                    This. I'm often quite annoyed at having to wade through all of the self-referential links to find the one link that is the actual source of the story.

And get rid of the typical PHP crap in the URLs. That is soooo last-decade. We don't care what scripting language you are using or its filename. And we certainly don't want to see extra parameters spelt out.

For example,
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU5OTY
                    could become
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/news/MTU5OTY
                    or maybe even something like
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/news/2014/02/10/nvidia-publishes-new-open-source-nouveau-driver-patch
                    It's longer, but more informative i.e the signal to noise ratio is much higher.

Just some thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X