Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 9.0 Reportedly Codenamed Zurg

Phoronix: Debian 9.0 Reportedly Codenamed Zurg

The next Debian release, 8.0, is codenamed Jessie, but succeeding that will be Debian 9.0 "Zurg" in a few years time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was just a joke!

Gosh, it was a joke inside default init debate (reference here or here).

Comment

So, will Zurg be used when they officially switch to systemd? I think it'd be somewhat inappropriate to transition Jessie to systemd. I feel the debian release cycles have been somewhat arbitrary.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        So, will Zurg be used when they officially switch to systemd? I think it'd be somewhat inappropriate to transition Jessie to systemd. I feel the debian release cycles have been somewhat arbitrary.
        • there will be no Debian Zurg (at least it was not decided, just blogged as a joke)
        • The tech-ctte decision was to switch to systemd for Linux ports in jessie

Comment

In other news, Apple is exploring a patent lawsuit against the Debian community for infringement of their patent on "dominating and enslaving the human race" through use of the name Zorg.

Comment

Hah: http://pusling.com/blog/?p=339

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I feel the debian release cycles have been somewhat arbitrary.
              Meaning what? Because they're not time based releases? Debian releases when its ready and the developers feel it meets their level of QA
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Reality check

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                What? Both phoronix AND wikipedia said it?.. Well then it MUST be true!.. Every one knows that wikipedia has never said any thing factually inaccurate before.. And *especially* not phoronix!.. It would be hard for any thing to slip past that massive fact-checking team that comprises the phoronix corporation..

All hail debian zurg! Over-lord of all the other linux distrobutions!..

Comment

I somehow feel like playing good old Starcraft after reading about this news...

Comment

phoronoix

the next version of Debian will actually be called Debian 8dot0 “phoronoix-will-believe-anything”.

Comment

Working...
                    X