Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg VP9 Decoder Claims To Be The World's Fastest

Phoronix: FFmpeg VP9 Decoder Claims To Be The World's Fastest

A new video codec decoder for Google's VP9 open video codec that's built around FFmpeg is claiming to be the fastest VP9 decoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering the age of VP9, being world's fastest is not that tall of a goal But yea, improvements in that regard are welcome. I just wish Google updated YouTube to accept VP9 4:4:4 chroma subsampling...

Comment

I remember them telling Google a few years ago that their VP8 implementation was faster than Google's VP8 implementation, and iirc Google agreed.

Here, even phoronix wrote about it:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Last edited by mark45; 22 February 2014, 07:01 PM.

Comment

ffmpeg or libav

I am wonder if libav (ffmpeg fork) will get those changes, libav seems very conservative..

Comment

Originally posted by saulo View Post
          I am wonder if libav (ffmpeg fork) will get those changes, libav seems very conservative..
          The're not conservative, a long time ago many disgruntled ffmeg devs forked it and created libav.
          Since then between them is a silent cold war.

Comment

I'm still with h265 though, VP9 may be fastest which is nice for streaming, but I care much more about quality than speed

Comment

It?s nice but I?d be more interested in a fast and easy to use VP9 ENcoder?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                The're not conservative, a long time ago many disgruntled ffmeg devs forked it and created libav.
                Both.
                Look here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wi...g-versus-Libav

Comment

Both: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wi...g-versus-Libav

Comment

I remember them telling Google a few years ago that their VP8 implementation was faster than Google's VP8 implementation, and iirc Google agreed.

Here, even phoronix wrote about it:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODQ0NQ
                    Not too surprising. In a reference implementation, correctness, readability, and development speed are typically more important than execution speed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the goal of a reference implementation should be to enable others to make something better.

Comment

Working...
                    X