Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs File-System Mount Option Testing From Linux 3.14

Phoronix: Btrfs File-System Mount Option Testing From Linux 3.14

Following our recent HDD benchmarking and solid-state drive testing of the Linux 3.14 kernel with various file-systems, for this weekend article we have done more tests of Btrfs on Linux 3.14 when trying out various Btrfs mount options.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Off-topic, but: @Michael: why are your recent photo shots so yellow?

Comment

Wrt last test, nodatacow is pretty much eat-my-data. It turns off checksumming so Btrfs won't detect if your data gets corrupted and can lead to in time catastrophic results since there's no possibility of having on-boot fsck detect corruption either.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Wrt last test, nodatacow is pretty much eat-my-data. It turns off checksumming so Btrfs won't detect if your data gets corrupted and can lead to in time catastrophic results since there's no possibility of having on-boot fsck detect corruption either.
        True, but nodatacow can be turned on/off per filesystem, subvolume, and even i think per file so its only REALLY an issue here where its off for the whole filesystem
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
          Off-topic, but: @Michael: why are your recent photo shots so yellow?
          Generally when I am after taking a quick photo at night with lights on in my office and for just a quick photo will use iPhone 5S over pulling out a proper DSLR camera.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sooo... space_cache is one of the default mount options.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              On platters, yeah, but on ssds I don't think it would matter since the controller decides where to put the data. That is, I'm not sure it differentiates between cow and nodatacow.
              I'd be curious about how combinations of options benchmark. So, say, space cache, lzo, discard(this should only run during downtime so shouldn't affect benchmarks), ssd spread and noatime(although modification times should still register).

Comment

In 2 years time, no one will hear anything about ZFS.

Comment

Would BTRFS be good for USB flash drives and SD cards? What kind of CPU overhead is expected with LZO and ZLIB compression especially on a Silvermont Atom based PCs or even on older Atoms like the ones in old Compulab devices?

Comment

Seconded

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    On platters, yeah, but on ssds I don't think it would matter since the controller decides where to put the data. That is, I'm not sure it differentiates between cow and nodatacow.
                    I'd be curious about how combinations of options benchmark. So, say, space cache, lzo, discard(this should only run during downtime so shouldn't affect benchmarks), ssd spread and noatime(although modification times should still register).
                    I also want to know the best combo. Please think like an admin when testing:
                    1. Take corruption switches out of consideration
                    2. Find the best combination.

Comment

Working...
                    X