Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenELEC 4.0 Beta Brings Changes, Based On XBMC 13

Phoronix: OpenELEC 4.0 Beta Brings Changes, Based On XBMC 13

The OpenELEC HTPC/multimedia Linux distribution is out today with their first beta release of the upcoming 4.0 series. OpenELEC 4.0 will bring many front-end and back-end changes to this distribution centered around XBMC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does somebody knows if it is easy to install OwnCloud in an OpenELEC machine in order to make a document-manager-do-everything-HTPC ?
    Thanks!

Comment

Built OpenELEC for my RPi after they updated to XBMC v13 Beta 1 a few days ago and it's been running fine since.
      First time using OpenELEC and I'm quite happy that it's given me a reason to use my old CRT TV again. Spent a while yesterday calibrating the TV yesterday, too. That was fun

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
        Built OpenELEC for my RPi after they updated to XBMC v13 Beta 1 a few days ago and it's been running fine since.
        First time using OpenELEC and I'm quite happy that it's given me a reason to use my old CRT TV again. Spent a while yesterday calibrating the TV yesterday, too. That was fun
        How's the picture quality on that telly? I find some people who rarely used their high end's actually still have very fine colour reproduction (VERY subjective, I know). It was quite refreshing to watch old stuff on old-school telly's =)
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          How's the picture quality on that telly? I find some people who rarely used their high end's actually still have very fine colour reproduction (VERY subjective, I know). It was quite refreshing to watch old stuff on old-school telly's =)
          It's not the best CRT, but it looks alright. It's a basic consumer RCA 27R411T I got back in '03, I think it was around $189.

I adjusted the focus and brightness while comparing the picture to my IPS monitor and then adjusted the contrast through the OSD. It's still slightly blurry and the saturation seems a bit off, but I'm thinking this is mainly due to using composite video.
          I might look into getting some test patterns at some point instead of eyeballing it with a random video.
          Last edited by Ouroboros; 06 March 2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
            Does somebody knows if it is easy to install OwnCloud in an OpenELEC machine in order to make a document-manager-do-everything-HTPC ?
            Thanks!
            Most likely it is not possible or requires a lot of modifications since OpenELEC is a very stripped down embedded Linux foundation without pretty much all the functionality other than what's needed to launch XBMC. If you ssh into an OpenELEC box you will soon realize how much is missing compared to a full Linux system.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post
              Most likely it is not possible or requires a lot of modifications since OpenELEC is a very stripped down embedded Linux foundation without pretty much all the functionality other than what's needed to launch XBMC.
              It's not impossible, just a lot of work because you'll have to build all the dependencies yourself and configure everything. It's much easier to start with a distribution with a large package repository like Arch Linux (<-- Bleeding edge drivers, AUR) and install XBMC and whatever else you might want and only have to deal with configurations.

Comment

Working...
              X