Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Plan HiDPI Work On GRUB, Plymouth

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Plan HiDPI Work On GRUB, Plymouth

On the last day of this week's virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit, developers discussed the next steps for HiDPI support in the Linux distribution outside of their ongoing Unity improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu's Plymouth theme
    While talking about Plymouth... it's still ugly (non-native resolution) with any proprietary graphics driver, since it was introducted. There were no issues with the prior system used in 9.10 and before.

Comment

Does that mean...upstream contributions?!

Comment

inb4 they decide to just make their own bootloader

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          While talking about Plymouth... it's still ugly (non-native resolution) with any proprietary graphics driver, since it was introducted. There were no issues with the prior system used in 9.10 and before.
          You can get hires plymouth with nvidia at least, but it's "not recommended".
          I for one enable it, and then get this on my dmesg:
          Code:
          [    8.836560] NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
          [    8.836565] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
          [    8.836568] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
          [    8.836570] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
          [    8.836573] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            My Gentoo netbook has native resolution Plymouth thanks to uvesafb. Though it does start up slower (has to do two additional modesets compared to not using it).

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              You can get hires plymouth with nvidia at least, but it's "not recommended".
              I for one enable it, and then get this on my dmesg:
              Code:
              [    8.836560] NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
              [    8.836565] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
              [    8.836568] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
              [    8.836570] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
              [    8.836573] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
              Your resolution still is arbitrarily limited to what vesa modes your mainboard supports. On my desktop that's 1600x1200 despite having a 2560x1440 screen.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Your resolution still is arbitrarily limited to what vesa modes your mainboard supports. On my desktop that's 1600x1200 despite having a 2560x1440 screen.
                Not with uvesafb.

Comment

Plymouth never worked

I have had Nvidia (proprietary and open source), AMD (open source) and Intel graphics.
                  But Plymouth have pretty much never worked.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Not with uvesafb.
                    I tried uvesafb and spend countless hours with it. Still couldn't get it to support anything higher than the VESA modes the Hardware Detection Tool of Syslinux lists for my motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                    X