Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.3 Beta Released -- Improves Android, Adds WebSockets

Phoronix: Qt 5.3 Beta Released -- Improves Android, Adds WebSockets

Digia announced this morning the first beta of the upcoming Qt 5.3 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bloated, more bloated, Qt?

When you let Ohloh.net compare the bare "lines of code" you get:

Is this what we call bloat?

Comment

Originally posted by toka View Post
      When you let Ohloh.net compare the bare "lines of code" you get:

Lines of code have nothing to do with anything.

Comment

Lines of codes and commit numbers

GLX-gear, Lines of codes and commit numbers are somewhat useless benchmarks. Yeah. Especially when comparing different programming laguages (C and C++).
        Still, I'd like to start a (civil) discussion about bloat.

Comment

Still, I'd like to start a (civil) discussion about bloat.
          Then what features does QT have that you think it shouldn't?
          Or what is QT doing that could be done much smaller or faster?

Personally I have never waded through the QT source code and only written patches
          to QT programs (meaning I have never written a QT program from scratch) so I can't
          comment on it generally. If you want to start a serious discussion (which I agree could
          be interesting) then you should probably start with pointing out specific stuff, else it
          will probably turn into a flame-war.

Comment

for productivity, code readablity and platforms support Gtk+ is far behind Qt5
            every developer who swiths from gtk to Qt knows this

Comment

1) Most of this is documentation
              2) Qt runs on far more platforms. Even with code reuse, this leads to more code
              3) C/C++
              4) Qt includes lots of functionality that GTK uses from other libraries: Pango, Webkit, multimedia, threading, etc.
              5) It's modular, so you only link against the libraries you actually use

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Then what features does QT have that you think it shouldn't?
                Or what is QT doing that could be done much smaller or faster?

Personally I have never waded through the QT source code and only written patches
                to QT programs (meaning I have never written a QT program from scratch) so I can't
                comment on it generally. If you want to start a serious discussion (which I agree could
                be interesting) then you should probably start with pointing out specific stuff, else it
                will probably turn into a flame-war.
                I can't! I simply looked at the lines of code, and though knowing you most probably cannot compare between C and C++, I asked myself about "the bloat". Is it there? Is it serious?
                Let's at least compare LOCs of Qt4 with Qt5. It seams huge. Of course if the code has become better documented, this would be rather good!

for productivity, code readablity and platforms support Gtk+ is far behind Qt5
                every developer who swiths from gtk to Qt knows this
                People who use Qt for their GUI widgets probably do not wade through the Qt-code. They read API documentation, and expect help in forums etc.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCompris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark Subsurface and of course the comming LXDE-Qt have switched because of missing help, I think.

Comment

People who use Qt for their GUI widgets probably do not wade through the Qt-code. They read API documentation, and expect help in forums etc.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCompris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark Subsurface and of course the comming LXDE-Qt have switched because of missing help, I think.
                  openshot developers explain why they 're switching to Qt
                  http://www.openshotvideo.com/2013/04...and-funds.html

Comment

@toka, do these stats include copy of WebKit source? It's a "monster" itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X