Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Dominated March

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Dominated March

Here's a look back at the most popular Linux and open-source content on Phoronix in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm fully committed to the advancement of Linux hardware support and Linux drivers, with Phoronix now being in its tenth year. This is a commitment that's back to taking 80~100+ hour work weeks when also counting the work done on open-source benchmarking software via the Phoronix Test Suite and OpenBenchmarking.org. If you appreciate all of this tireless work please disable AdBlock when viewing Phoronix
    I appreciate the work you do Michael, really. But there's something about this bit that bugs me - yes, you work hard. Like everyone else, we work to make a living. But I don't go and remind people of how much I work in an effort to get something else from them. You could ask for things using a more... humble approach? Besides, by specifying the amount you work all it tells me is that you're another young fellow who thinks that by killing themselves and not having time or energy outside of work, somehow this is living. It ain't, even for a small business like Phoronix. Besides, people have suggested for years about contributing so you wouldn't have to do the 99% you say you have to write, and yet virtually everything is indeed still written by you after all this time. Are you still expecting to get to 40-50 and still be sinking so much time into a site focused on a niche OS with still only 1-2% market share (on the desktop/laptop)? The effort vs reward seems woefully disproportionate. Those kinds of hours are feasible in the long term. You already sound burnt out.

I don't know, perhaps I'm just talking shit because I don't run a small business and hence don't have the perspective. But if nothing else - don't beg. Don't make people feel bad that they're using AdBlock on your site despite adblockers being virtually necessary these days to deal with bullshit adds chewing up CPU/bandwidth and introducing attack vectors for various nasties. In the end - just chill. Passion is great but not if you don't have the time/energy to smell the roses. Heck let's face it, it's only Linux.
    Last edited by JasonFortuna; 01 April 2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

well

Originally posted by JasonFortuna View Post
      I appreciate the work you do Michael, really. But there's something about this bit that bugs me - yes, you work hard. Like everyone else, we work to make a living. But I don't go and remind people of how much I work in an effort to get something else from them. You could ask for things using a more... humble approach? Besides, by specifying the amount you work all it tells me is that you're another young fellow who thinks that by killing themselves and not having time or energy outside of work, somehow this is living. It ain't, even for a small business like Phoronix. Besides, people have suggested for years about contributing so you wouldn't have to do the 99% you say you have to write, and yet virtually everything is indeed still written by you after all this time. Are you still expecting to get to 40-50 and still be sinking so much time into a site focused on a niche OS with still only 1-2% market share (on the desktop/laptop)? The effort vs reward seems woefully disproportionate. Those kinds of hours are feasible in the long term. You already sound burnt out.

I don't know, perhaps I'm just talking shit because I don't run a small business and hence don't have the perspective. But if nothing else - don't beg. Don't make people feel bad that they're using AdBlock on your site despite adblockers being virtually necessary these days to deal with bullshit adds chewing up CPU/bandwidth and introducing attack vectors for various nasties. In the end - just chill. Passion is great but not if you don't have the time/energy to smell the roses. Heck let's face it, it's only Linux.
      i loose 5 minutes fo my life reading your shit, i hope nobody do the same mystake

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        i loose 5 minutes fo my life reading your shit, i hope nobody do the same mystake
        And here I was thinking the Linux community is comprised of intelligent people. Fuck you. I put effort in that to suggest maybe Mike examine how much time he spends on a job before he burns out, and your response is to belittle? Fuck you!

Actually, another point. I'm a member of several other forums, and I've found the most hateful, spiteful and trollful posts to be in tech forums, particularly gaming and operating system focused. Why is that?
        Last edited by JasonFortuna; 01 April 2014, 03:31 AM.

Comment

And here I was thinking the Linux community is comprised of intelligent people. Fuck you. I put effort in that to suggest maybe Mike examine how much time he spends on a job before he burns out, and your response is to belittle? Fuck you!

Actually, another point. I'm a member of several other forums, and I've found the most hateful, spiteful and trollful posts to be in tech forums, particularly gaming and operating system focused. Why is that?
          No, it isn't, no community is comprised only of intelligence people. Also, please don't reply with insults like that. Maybe report such posts, but it won't have much of an impact here, this forum lacks moderation quite a lot.

I suggest ignoring the ignorant people, these won't change anytime soon.

Comment

lol

hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              hahahaha
              typical Portuguese nonsense...

So I see Ubuntu is going to keep being the reference of Linux on Phoronix eventhough they are making decisions on the opposite direction of the community. Great job Michael!

Will you ever tell the truth and admit you are being paid by Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post

So I see Ubuntu is going to keep being the reference of Linux on Phoronix eventhough they are making decisions on the opposite direction of the community. Great job Michael!

The fact that 14.04 is beating Windows on graphics benchmarks on the same machines makes it highly relevant, and something that other community coders should be paying attention to. I've always been an openSUSE/SUSE user, but I've got the 14.04 beta installed and must admit I'm very impressed. Canonical is doing a lot of things that I wish the openSUSE developers could learn from.

Comment

???

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post

aiai this people

Comment

Working...
                  X