Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS File-System Gains Large Directory Support, More Tuning

Phoronix: F2FS File-System Gains Large Directory Support, More Tuning

Samsung has made another feature-rich pull request for its Flash-Frienly File-System with new work that will be introduced in Linux 3.15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes please!

F2FS and XFS are my two favourite file-systems, and I hope to see XFS in with the other file-systems in the upcoming benchmarks.

BTRFS as of late is finally maturing past its infancy and I'm considering BTRFS to not be such a toy as it has been ever since it's creation... I even believe BTRFS now has more of a future than ZFS... which is saying something.

Comment

What exactly is "large directory support" ?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
        I even believe BTRFS now has more of a future than ZFS... which is saying something.
        Considering that both filesystems are owned by the same company. We'll see where that goes. I'm not being negative here, just stating the curiosity of what options will Oracle take. I know that most of the research and work is being done by the OpenZFS consortium. I'm not sure about BTRFS, from the recent articles by Michael it's mostly Facebook that's involved now.

Comment

F2FS is good to install linux systems on USB flash memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            F2FS is good to install linux systems on USB flash memories.
            I very much doubt that. most if not all usb memories are shipped with FAT or NTFS, and the internal
            wear-levelling logic uses the known access patterns of these two FSs to spread writes evenly to all
            sectors. F2FS is for raw nand/nor access as is possible in embedded devices (not with usb flash media).

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              I very much doubt that. most if not all usb memories are shipped with FAT or NTFS, and the internal
              wear-levelling logic uses the known access patterns of these two FSs to spread writes evenly to all
              sectors. F2FS is for raw nand/nor access as is possible in embedded devices (not with usb flash media).
              Strange it's stated for flash memory storage too. poronix issues a test about this memory using different file system: EXT4, XFS, F2FS, BTRFS. Currently I've installed ubuntu on 16GB 2.0 USB memory with EXT4.

Here it is the test: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2fs_usb3&num=1
              Last edited by Azrael5; 07 April 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X