Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Adds Support For The Lenovo ThinkPad T530

Phoronix: Coreboot Adds Support For The Lenovo ThinkPad T530

The Coreboot open-source BIOS/UEFI replacement now has initial support for the Lenovo ThinkPad T530 notebook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

T440 please, and I'll give it a run.

Comment

and T430 please - it's still widely used.

Comment

It needs datasheets. For those pesky SuperIOs. Most other things coreboot needs normally work, especially everything from AMD since AMD is very coreboot supportive. Intel blocked it for a long time (they wanted to push their UEFI crap probably). I was so stupid to give away an older FM2 socket Asus mainboard and noticed shortly after that is was one of the perfectly well supported coreboot boards. :'-(
        But as long as vendors combine strange chips with their stuff or don't even seem to be able to tell you what is inside their laptops it's hard to be on the safe (coreboot) side.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          Intel blocked it for a long time (they wanted to push their UEFI crap probably)
          UEFI is more modern in any way compared to BIOS... Network support, easier updating, mouse support, booting on storage > 2.2 TB...

It's only crap sometimes because it's poorly implemented by motherboard manufacturers and OEMs.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            T440 please, and I'll give it a run.
            How "dangerous" is it to install Coreboot?
            I'd never try to install this on a shiny new notebook.
            I guess the chance to brick it is rather high...

BTW, is it straightforward to go back to the stock BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              BTW, is it straightforward to go back to the stock BIOS?
              If you didn't brick it, just a flashrom away. If you did...

Comment

I'd love to try Coreboot on my Lenovo SL510...wonder if it would work with this hardware

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  UEFI is more modern in any way compared to BIOS... Network support, easier updating, mouse support, booting on storage > 2.2 TB...
                  It's only crap sometimes because it's poorly implemented by motherboard manufacturers and OEMs.
                  More modern than BIOS, well yes, but that doesn't seem to be too hard to achieve. Yes, vendors mess up. But intel's reference implementation is so huge - it is defective by design. You don't need something with the size of half a Linux kernel as firmware. Furthermore in this closed, proprietary and huge software there is so much potential for bugs and security holes (involuntary or on purpose) that it is just sad to see this built in at a firmware level on most x86 based computers today.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    I agree with Adarion here. UEFI specification is now 2000+ pages. This is almost impossible to implement fully and correctly for anybody else but Intel (read my previous rant here).

Unfortunately, it seems to be the direction that x86 and ARM are moving to.

Comment

Working...
                    X