Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are AMD Athlon/Sempron APUs Fast Enough For Steam On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are AMD Athlon/Sempron APUs Fast Enough For Steam On Linux?

Phoronix: Are AMD Athlon/Sempron APUs Fast Enough For Steam On Linux?

Earlier today the latest installment of our extensive Linux testing of AMD's new Athlon AM1 APUs were shared in the form of RadeonSI vs. Gallium3D benchmarks of the Radeon R3 Graphics found with these new entry-level APUs. Not included with that open-source vs. closed-source driver testing was any Source Engine / Steam Linux game testing due to an XCB DRI3 issue, but this article is devoted to looking at the Catalyst performance for the Sempron 2650, Sempron 3850, Athlon 5150, and Athlon 5350 to see whether any of these APUs can make the cut for a budget Steam Machine.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well ,*I*play at 1024x768 and 1280x1024 and so these are not that bad results....i wonder if there was stuttering with these games or they played tests smoothtly ....i believe that saddly there is a reason TF2 and L4D2 were not part of these tests....the fault is not the APUs themselves, is from Catalyst

I never said that these AM1 APUs are good options to play games as standalone...it would be a miracle if so...what is really important to know if we can use them to make a real low budget (if we consider low badget as in "sub-400" and/or "sub-500" bucks) SteamBox is their performance , and in special of the 5350, with a discrete GPU based on NVIDIA tech (that doesn?t have the problems under Linux that AMD GPU tech has), like the GTX750 and GTX750Ti...

These APU should be regarded as cheap CPUs with cheap Mobos, in special in mITX form factor, that can significantly lower plrice of a rig that uses a dGPU...this is what of many of us want to know...how well a 5350 will perform paired with a low power, relative low price (, short length and in some cases also low profile, that is relatively performant and recent dGPU like the GTX750(Ti).

Common Michael , dont torture us, give us the results of those tests

Comment

720p, and 900p seem playable. Even 1080p in a couple cases. While yes, 60+ FPS would be desirable, the Steam Machines competitors are consoles which typically shoot for 30fps. Looking at this article again in the form of "The goal is 30fps at 720p / 1080p" then the benchmarks are much more attractive and could be viable for some games. Obviously not Battlefield, or Shadow Of Mordor, or Skyrim, but indie games? Last Gen (Xbox 360, PS3) games? Possibly, yeah.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Michael,

That "Steam Machine" of yours sure has a strange looking desktop. Is that the Office 95 toolbar on the left side of the screen? What's with the "Jersey Turnpike Public Restroom" color scheme? Are you sure you're running steamOS?

Comment

Would it be possible to add a Haswell i3 to the comparison? (I know it won't be apples to apples, but it would give a comparison point)

Comment

Those are not even last gen games, they are pre last gen. At least two of them are. So, an APU that can't run these at > 120fps is not suitable for a Steam Machine, not even an entry level Steam Machine.

Comment

Didn't these CPUs have performance problems with linux 3.13?

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                Didn't these CPUs have performance problems with linux 3.13?
                I can say No if you enable dpm, edit xorg.conf a little to enable colortiling and don't play with performance governor like Michael . It is not first time that Michael play with performance governor and got unpredictible results .

By default Yes
                Last edited by dungeon; 15 April 2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  I can say No if you enable dpm, edit xorg.conf a little to enable colortilling and don't play with performance governor like Michael . It is not first time that Michael play with performance governor and got unpredictible results .
                  Sorry, I mean, the CPU itself, not the GPU part of the APU.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    I can say No if you enable dpm, edit xorg.conf a little to enable colortiling and don't play with performance governor like Michael . It is not first time that Michael play with performance governor and got unpredictible results .

By default Yes
                    I didn't play with the performance governor at all... It was left at its defaults.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X