Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDC2014 Bordeaux Conference Confirmed For Open Graphics Goodness

Phoronix: XDC2014 X.Org Bordeaux Conference Confirmed

We have known for a while now that XDC2014 will happen in Bordeaux, France. Today the official call for presentations/papers has finally been issued along with other details on this upcoming Linux graphics conference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sorry i use adblock. your site and a few others is unreadable with double underline crap. if you want ads fine, but they can not distract your readers

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
      sorry i use adblock. your site and a few others is unreadable with double underline crap. if you want ads fine, but they can not distract your readers
      I agree but, even if that weren't the case, the netadmin at my primary reading location also has ads blocked at the border router and then whitelists only the ad networks which are considered not potential vectors for JavaScript/Flash exploits or phishing. (eg. ones that don't allow advertisers to input anything more complex than self-contained (banner-form) images and raw text for distribution.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 01 May 2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        I agree but, even if that weren't the case, the netadmin at my primary reading location also has ads blocked at the border router and then whitelists only the ad networks which are considered not potential vectors for JavaScript/Flash exploits or phishing. (eg. ones that don't allow advertisers to input anything more complex than self-contained (banner-form) images and raw text for distribution.)
        I agree, but images might also contain viruses, the best practice is to use ActiveX or Java applets on the webpage to run the adds and send an .exe file to the user when he clicks the banner so that he can safely run the binary from his computer.

Comment

Whenever you're logged into the forums, you don't see the "double underline crap" (contextual ads via Kontera).... Doesn't even matter if you're premium or not, as long as you're logged in and have been to the forums.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Whenever you're logged into the forums, you don't see the "double underline crap" (contextual ads via Kontera).... Doesn't even matter if you're premium or not, as long as you're logged in and have been to the forums.
            There's no good excuse for those kinds of ads, nor is there for ads that absorb the whole page. There's a reason why adblock exists -- perhaps you should turn the chessboard over and think about that. You must be really naive to think that people want to block ads just because they can. People block ads because there are many websites like yours that overuse ads to a silly degree and make using the web a very awkward, broken, and annoying experience. Plus the fact that a lot of websites have ads which are vectors for infection to Windows users. In any case, whining about adblock is not going to stop people from using adblock. In fact, it will do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              There's a reason why adblock exists -- perhaps you should turn the chessboard over and think about that. You must be really naive to think that people want to block ads just because they can. People block ads because there are many websites like yours that overuse ads to a silly degree and make using the web a very awkward, broken, and annoying experience.
              Every month I do evaluate it... In the end, Kontera stays onboard since for most months I leave them on because for most months I am lucky when I break even with some degree after all monthly expenses covered.... Maybe I'll try it for May and see if there's less AdBlock users if I disable Kontera context links, but I'll see if there's enough to justify the difference in loss revenue, but unfortunately there probably isn't.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                There's no good excuse for those kinds of ads, nor is there for ads that absorb the whole page. There's a reason why adblock exists -- perhaps you should turn the chessboard over and think about that. You must be really naive to think that people want to block ads just because they can. People block ads because there are many websites like yours that overuse ads to a silly degree and make using the web a very awkward, broken, and annoying experience. Plus the fact that a lot of websites have ads which are vectors for infection to Windows users. In any case, whining about adblock is not going to stop people from using adblock. In fact, it will do the opposite.
                in translation. you don't want to pay subscription, you don't want to see adds, you want to read content. and why stop there, why not also expect michael to buy you weeks worth of food? with the money he is earning from you he could damn well afford it.

p.s. i never used addbock and yet i have to wonder what is unreadable on phoronix. the only thing i hate is overuse of linking to older articles instead of sources and turning finding reference as tedious as rpg level up grinding

Comment

I agree. You can still donate to him or buy premium. I donated some bitcoin to him, but I still use adblock.

Comment

For everyone who thinks about becoming a "premium" user:
                    It is one big hassle.

If your only intention is to get an ad-free site + only one-site articles it is a hassle on phoronix.com.

You have to visit/open the Forum every day, even if you selected "auto login" only to get back your premium-features for that day.
                    If you're only visiting the article-page your "premium" status is reset every day at around 0:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X