Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 14.1 Beta Released For Testing

Phoronix: FreeBSD 14.1 Beta Released For Testing

The first beta of FreeBSD 14.1 is now available for testing in kicking off what will be the first point release building off last November's FreeBSD 14.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exciting! I might try out freebsd after I get bored with Fedora, a little worried about hardware compatibility though.

Comment

My suggestion is using GhostBSD as a live environment to test if your hardware works and you don't actually need to download additionally kernel modules (i.e. 2.5G ethernet drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
        Exciting! I might try out freebsd after I get bored with Fedora, a little worried about hardware compatibility though.
        This largely depends on if you have a laptop or a desktop. Wired networking is quite good, some would argue even better than Linux. Wifi, not so much. Wifi is abysmal, but getting better. The other thing is for reasons I don't understand the kernel mode set drivers are not directly compiled in but available as packages with loadable kernel modules that you just tie into the system. These are kept fairly current but do lag behind Linux some. Oddly enough and this applies to FreeBSD ONLY and none of the other *BSDs but the Nvidia driver is quite good and has support for the most recent cards with the Nvidia Unix driver that supports FreeBSD and Solaris. If you have ever ran Debian FreeBSD will feel a lot like that in terms of stability, but is different enough too. Base might be as stable as Debian but new packages are release four times a year.

Comment

Even TrueNAS are moving away from BSD. I sometimes wonder if writing is on the wall.

Comment

Working...
          X