Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Connect Reaches Beta For Remote Raspberry Pi Access

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Connect Reaches Beta For Remote Raspberry Pi Access

The Raspberry Pi Foundation today announced the beta availability of Raspberry Pi Connect as a means of securely having remote GUI access to your Remote Pi from a web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds good but I would like to run a headless Raspberry Pi without Wayland or any GUI at all, just Ubuntu Server or even better Ubuntu Core but in addition to SSH be able to remote administrate it using a web GUI such as Cockpit.

But unfortunately Cockpit is not available as a Snap package so you cannot install it on Ubuntu Core which can only install Snap packages, and unfortunately Cockpit does not include any plugin module that lets the user install and uninstall Snap packages.

Comment

Proprietary backend and frontend..

Sunshine + Moonlight is the way to go for low latency RDP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Proprietary backend and frontend..

Sunshine + Moonlight is the way to go for low latency RDP.
        I mostly agree, it's a bit janky, but way better then proprietary, hope rpi open sources the code soon however, as I always like foss RDP tech

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Sounds good but I would like to run a headless Raspberry Pi without Wayland or any GUI at all, just Ubuntu Server or even better Ubuntu Core but in addition to SSH be able to remote administrate it using a web GUI such as Cockpit.

But unfortunately Cockpit is not available as a Snap package so you cannot install it on Ubuntu Core which can only install Snap packages, and unfortunately Cockpit does not include any plugin module that lets the user install and uninstall Snap packages.
          If you don't use a GUI anyways then you can easily switch to debian, the slow progress is suitable for server stuff and you have the whole apt world to choose from.
          Cockpit makes it easy to administer your Linux servers via a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            hope rpi open sources the code soon
            Wouldn't count on it
            I'd love to be wrong!

> "Our intention is that Raspberry Pi Connect will remain free (as in beer) for individual users"
            > https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-connect/
            Last edited by Kjell; 07 May 2024, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Wouldn't count on it
              I love to be wrong!

> "Our intention is that Raspberry Pi Connect will remain free (as in beer) for individual users"
              > https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-connect/
              makes me sad T.T

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Given that Cockpit is a project in the "Red Hat zone", it shouldn't surprise you it doesn't support Snap which is a Canonical-only controlled thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Given that Cockpit is a project in the "Red Hat zone", it shouldn't surprise you it doesn't support Snap which is a Canonical-only controlled thing.
                  Cockpit is an open source software which is built in a modular way to be extensible so Canonical could easily contribute support for packing it as a Snap as well as a module that handles installation, updates and uninstallation of Snap packages.

Comment

Working...
                  X