Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Took In $556k Last Year While Spending $675.9k

Phoronix: GNOME Took In $556k Last Year While Spending $675.9k

The GNOME Foundation today published their 2023 annual report that outlines their accomplishments as well as a look at the finances...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think I may be the fool here but am I reading that GIMP got ~180k income, but they only spent ~36k on it?

I get that when you pool money it's not going to be 1:1 going back out, but GIMP has been in desperate need of love and I just see what could have been 2 full-time contracts which could have gone towards it.

Someone tell me I'm wrong, because I'd like to be wrong.

Comment

Surprised their administrative costs are so low given the amount of people I see active. I suppose companies like Red Hat are the ones employing most of them

Comment

How much was spent on healing crystals, magic crystals, crystal balls, dream catchers, yoga mats and ouija boards?

Comment

GNOME's financial report reads like a tragicomedy—revenue streams drying up like a desert mirage. Holly Million, a shamanistic figure with a flair for the nonprofit arts, steps in.

Will her eclectic spells rejuvenate GNOME's coffers, or will it remain a cautionary tale of fiscal fantasy? Critics, armed with their digital pitchforks, decry GNOME's design missteps—from wasted screen real estate to a UX akin to a maze designed by a minotaur. It's a desktop drama waiting for its next act.

Will it be a turnaround triumph, or just another open-source opera? Stay tuned.

Comment

i wish i could spend $120,000 more than i make like gnome can

Comment

Wait, several years they fuck up power users targeting UIUX for touch screen and average users and now they want my money? How about "Go 4ck yourself"

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                GNOME's financial report reads like a tragicomedy—revenue streams drying up like a desert mirage. Holly Million, a shamanistic figure with a flair for the nonprofit arts, steps in.

Will her eclectic spells rejuvenate GNOME's coffers, or will it remain a cautionary tale of fiscal fantasy? Critics, armed with their digital pitchforks, decry GNOME's design missteps—from wasted screen real estate to a UX akin to a maze designed by a minotaur. It's a desktop drama waiting for its next act.

Will it be a turnaround triumph, or just another open-source opera? Stay tuned.
                Did you see how much they pay staff?!?

So, is XFCE going to have good Wayland support? I'm probably going to use KDE but hopefully XFCE and Cosmic ultimately offer quality alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                  i wish i could spend $120,000 more than i make like gnome can
                  You can if you save up

Comment

Not a gnome fan but the fact that the most used Linux desktop env get less funding than a single top manager or executive in big tech companies saddens me.

Could we see a tad of humanity in the way money is shared at some point!!?

IBM bought Redhat 34Bilions dollars, that would kill them to support the user interface of what they bought multiple dozen of billions, getting them enough money to work in decent conditions???

Same goes for KDE that I dont use and many key other projects.

Comment

Working...
                    X