Git 2.30 Released As More Projects Shift To "Main" As Their Default Branch Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Here are the synonyms for git, for when it is inevitably found offensive to someone and has to be changed. I'm personally a fan of 'dipstick' and 'mooncalf' -

"berk [British], booby, charlie (also charley) [British], cuckoo, ding-a-ling, ding-dong, dingbat, dipstick, doofus [slang], featherhead, fool, goose, half-wit, jackass, lunatic, mooncalf, nincompoop, ninny, ninnyhammer, nit [chiefly British], nitwit, nut, nutcase, simp, simpleton, turkey, yo-yo"
    i'm all for changing "slave" to "simp" if that makes it acceptable to this generation

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
      Finally, the much awaited change. Expecting 33% faster performance now that the default branch name is 33% smaller in length.
      Yeah, now that they got one roadblock out of the way, they can concentrate on the next pressing problem: which font do you use to write Git. And then they may tackle the font color (am I still allowed to say "color"?).

Seriously, this a change almost nobody cares about. Nobody that writes code, I mean. You don't need to bring it up with each and every Git release. Or if you have to, at least put it last on the change list.
      Last edited by bug77; 29 December 2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        (am I still allowed to say "color"?).
        Depends where you are on the card

Comment

So in git 2.32, can we have a blacklist for branch names, so no silly developer can question their masters orders and create non political correct branches?
          Maybe even have a whitelist, so only good branch names are allowed

Comment

In many Indochina dialects, "main" is an ethnic slur. I'm offended. Time to move our corporate version control system back to SVN.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
              https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32614222/

"We investigate the consequences and predictors of emitting signals of victimhood and virtue. In our first three studies, we show that the virtuous victim signal can facilitate nonreciprocal resource transfer from others to the signaler. Next, we develop and validate a victim signaling scale that we combine with an established measure of virtue signaling to operationalize the virtuous victim construct. We show that individuals with Dark Triad traits-Machiavellianism, Narcissism, Psychopathy-more frequently signal virtuous victimhood, controlling for demographic and socioeconomic variables that are commonly associated with victimization in Western societies."
              I think that this cannot be stressed enough.

Comment

The least funny part is that "master" actually best describes what it is, and is what should be used as a label.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
                  I don't care what the default branch name is, but all this is getting silly. Like a fun satire or something.

Oh but... WAIT!
                  IB4: someone connects "main" to "mein kampf", because the words are pronounced quite alike.
                  Someone should open a bug for this and see what happens...
                  There's actually a short video on youtube a grandad getting his grandson the "mein kampf" book for his birthday because the kid asked for "Minecraft".

This is a video of a French boy receiving the German book ‘Mein Kampf’ from his grandad after asking for popular video game Minecraft

Comment

Come on, why are so many people here full of hate because Git now ALLOWS CUSTOMIZING the name of the default branch. You can still call it "master" if you want. But this is actually a very shitty name for the default branch, I can hardly find a word that is more ambiguous and still NONE of its meanings are even close to what you push onto the default branch in most sensible development models. Depending on what you do, I propose the names "rolling", "edge" or "dev".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Depends where you are on the card

That one made my day.

Comment

Working...
                      X