Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 8 Will Enter Its Last Stage Of Development Next Week

Phoronix: GCC 8 Will Enter Its Last Stage Of Development Next Week

The GNU Compiler Collection 8 (GCC 8) is currently in "stage three" development whereby general bug fixing can still happen along with allowing new ports to be added. But that is changing next week as it enters its final stage of development prior to release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still have issues with 3-4 packages on my computer (I'm on Gentoo ~amd64) that fails to build with GCC 7.2, resulting in an Internal Compiler Error. I haven't reported the issue, I should probably do that. But from experience, I know that it can be quite a hassle with the GNU developers...

Comment

Only 4? That is fairly good. I am on x86/amd64 stable with 6.4.0 and in the beginning there were some more packages failing (got better with some more recent packages in cases). And I got a strange segfault during init recently. Moreover the kernel packages are raging wild in masked, stable, unstable recently. 4.12.12 was stable for long and suddenly is maked.
      I suspect we might see some more fallout all around. *sigh*
      But hey, that's part of the Gentoo way of life.

More on topic: I do hope they'll add some Spectre mitigation to gcc for the next release. I would just make sense to use every means we have, even if it's not perfect right from the start.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        I still have issues with 3-4 packages on my computer (I'm on Gentoo ~amd64) that fails to build with GCC 7.2, resulting in an Internal Compiler Error. I haven't reported the issue, I should probably do that. But from experience, I know that it can be quite a hassle with the GNU developers...
        I would suggest trying the latest gcc-7 branch before reporting. 9/10 ICE have have reported for gcc were already fixed by the time I reported them.

Comment

Working...
        X