Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HTC VIVE Pro Should Be Much Nicer For Steam VR Gaming

Phoronix: The HTC VIVE Pro Should Be Much Nicer For Steam VR Gaming

HTC used CES 2018 to announce their new virtual reality head-mounted display, the VIVE Pro...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll definitely buy one as soon as Linux is confirmed.

Comment

Still haven't won lottery, but once that happens I'm sure to get into VR...

J/k

I actually am splashing 1047aud on a 1080ti this week, but I can't afford that AND anything else so the GPU upgrade takes priority.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I actually am splashing 1047aud on a 1080ti this week
        I'm afraid I won't never understand why people wastes those amounts of money for PC gaming. Granted, I'm old school and I can enjoy 8 bit pixelated games and not everyone has to be like myself, but I hardly see the difference in fun while playing when you have a decent 300 bucks worth GPU and a 1000 bucks one.

Please explain me.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I'm afraid I won't never understand why people wastes those amounts of money for PC gaming. Granted, I'm old school and I can enjoy 8 bit pixelated games and not everyone has to be like myself, but I hardly see the difference in fun while playing when you have a decent 300 bucks worth GPU and a 1000 bucks one.

Please explain me.
          They literally said that they're going to get into VR when they have enough money and you really need a beefy GPU for that.

Comment

but I hardly see the difference in fun while playing when you have a decent 300 bucks worth GPU and a 1000 bucks one.

Please explain me.
            You make to much sense and are too logical, people just want their shiny new graphics cards

The only logical reason I see to have a 1070ti or faster currently is for VR and maybe 4K gaming, but 1440p is plenty of resolution for me.

Comment

Please explain me.

Simply the experience in X-Plane must be great as users say. I can imagine also Alien Isolation etc. to be much more fun. I'll buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
                They literally said that they're going to get into VR when they have enough money and you really need a beefy GPU for that.
                Problem is time. That little word: "when". If they need to save money to build the amount for the missing parts of VR hardware, it's likely that by the time they have the money, their 1000 bucks GPU will be obsolete and not up to the task anymore, or, at the very least, it won't be the shiniest out there anymore.

Maybe new titles will offer 4K+VR+HDR combined and your GPU won't support that. Then again, I don't believe that playing VR "only" vs VR+4K+HDR can make any difference in fun, but the same instinct that leads them to buy a 1000 bucks GPU today will lead them to buy another 1000 bucks GPU in a year or so (or to believe they are missing something important).

Comment

I think the most interesting details have been that it works with SteamVR Tracking 2.0 and the headset will be available by itself. So it should go well with the Knuckles controllers and base stations which Valve will be making themselves. I expect compatibility to be the same as with the existing Vive.

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post

AND I run 4k monitor, and I won't be downsizing, 4k is my home and if you have a clue you know the 1080ti can run 4k at 60hz but the standard 1080 will often just get 50hz (fps). PLUS my FuryX produces too much heat and eats ALLOT more power then 1080ti, I pay 50c per Kwh here!

PS. I'm not happy about spending the money, its the first time I have splashed this much on a single videocard. BUT with prices set to rise over Q1 and the delay of next gen cards, it seems like a ok time to buy.
                    Last edited by theriddick; 09 January 2018, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X