Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Combined Impact Of Retpoline + KPTI On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: The Combined Impact Of Retpoline + KPTI On Ubuntu Linux

Over the past week I have posted many KPTI and Retpoline benchmarks for showing the performance impact of these patches to combat the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. But with my testing so far I haven't done any showing the combined impact of KPTI+Retpoline on Ubuntu versus a completely unpatched system. Here are some of those results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will the upcoming Intel/AMD CPUs come with these issues fixed in silicon or is it possible at all?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Will the upcoming Intel/AMD CPUs come with these issues fixed in silicon or is it possible at all?
      I wouldn't get my hopes up for either Ryzen 2 or even Zen 2 from AMD since the latter's design is complete (https://images.anandtech.com/doci/12233/x86_to_2020.jpg).

As for Intel it's probably not going to happen until after Ice Lake since it's their next microarchitecture node. I'd assume that they are at more or less the same place as Zen 2? They can probably fix Meltdown in it while Spectre might require a bit more drastic changes.

Unless someone from either AMD or Intel officially comments all we can do is to speculate

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I think not yet. Tapeout for Pinnacle Ridge was in the summer, so before Spectre was discovered. Maybe next gen will mitigate spectre. I think it is possible but it requires a lot of work.

Comment

...they also require a lot of work but it is not acceptable that these companies continue to sell defective cpus, the problem is them and they must solve it, otherwise they will continue to sell shit, as Linus T. rightly said.

Comment

Apache Benchmark
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very close to AMD FX

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
              Unless someone from either AMD or Intel officially comments all we can do is to speculate
              Disabling your speculative post until patches have been made.

Comment

there is certainly some interesting variability between processors, some take way more of a punishing than the others in these tests.

Comment

What about AMD, how Retpoline patches impact performance?

Comment

New microcode also released for linux if any needs the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...code-Data-File

Comment

Working...
                    X