Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 59 Is Dropping GTK2 Support

Phoronix: Firefox 59 Is Dropping GTK2 Support

Now that Firefox's GTK3 support is finally into shape, Firefox 59 will be doing away with GTK2 tool-kit support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There goes using the patched GTK2 filechooser.

Comment

What is going to happen to people using RHEL/CentOS 6.x on desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Vaporeon View Post
        There goes using the patched GTK2 filechooser.
        What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstPersonBSOD View Post
          ...They wouldn't be using Firefox 59+ in the first place

Comment

These will be pleased or better to say pushed to upgrade, what else.

There is 52 ESR currently supported there, maybe they will do some ESR++ of that
            Last edited by dungeon; 13 January 2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

These will be pleased or better to say pushed to upgrade, what else.

There is 52 ESR currently supported there, maybe they will do some ESR++ of that
              But how hard would it be for RedHat to patch GTK2 support back in specifically for RHEL 6?

Comment

I doubt that it is impossible to install GTK3 on RHEL6/Centos 6. Its not the default, but for specific programs there will be a way.

Comment

They will have one more reason to upgrade from a 7 year old product using the 2.6 kernel?

Comment

I might upgrade my Linux machine to RHEL7 once Mate gets a little bit more stable. Until then, I am quite glad my RHEL6 is only supporting an older firefox... much less ram usage, less bullsh*t.. and this is a good thing

But yes, I could just install the Gtk+3 package and use the latest Firefox binaries from Mozilla's ftp... I'm very unlikely to bother though to be fair

As for keeping with a 2.6 kernel... My Gnome 2 desktop environment and workflow is obviously much more important than a kernel number... Much the same reason why Windows 7 is still very popular (and is even older than RHEL6).

Comment

Working...
                    X