Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15-rc8 Released As The Last Before Final

Phoronix: Linux 4.15-rc8 Released As The Last Before Final

Linus Torvalds has released Linux 4.15-rc8 as the last planned release candidate prior to officially debuting Linux 4.15 next weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hoopla, tarball not found Lets read a doc:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...xt?h=v4.15-rc8

So now we have spectre_v2 trampoline generic one, but also amd specific minimal one.

Specific mitigations can also be selected manually:
    retpoline - replace indirect branches
    retpoline,generic - google's original retpoline
    retpoline,amd - AMD-specific minimal thunk
    I guess that needs to be tested ha Michael
    Last edited by dungeon; 14 January 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Hoopla, tarball not found Lets read a doc:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...xt?h=v4.15-rc8

So now we have spectre_v2 trampoline generic one, but also amd specific minimal one.

I guess that needs to be tested ha Michael
      Nice find ! and I am sure once the AMD bios updates are released for his boards he will.

Comment

Don't forget NVidia GPUs are vulnerable to spectre as well... so that will have to be bench marked as well once they come out with a fix.

Comment

I woildnt call it fake news, well in most cases, it is more a question of not knowing.

Id still prefer that they spend a few weeks testing all these low level chsnges. At this point it can't hurt to wait a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          I believe nVidia software needs updating so it can't be used to exploit the CPU vulnerability. The GPU itself is "immune" as they're now saying, like it's a virus problem or something other than hardware-related. The corporate-money-driven fake news makes it all very confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            I believe nVidia software needs updating so it can't be used to exploit the CPU vulnerability. The GPU itself is "immune" as they're now saying, like it's a virus problem or something other than hardware-related. The corporate-money-driven fake news makes it all very confusing...
            They are making sure their driver does not make calls to CPU that would allow an attacker to exploit Spectre vulnerability.

Basically recompiling with different compiler options, like the new ones in GCC that deal with the issue. Whatever compiler they use anyway, it's a compiler thing.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Nice find ! and I am sure once the AMD bios updates are released for his boards he will.
              Yeah probably bios and/or microcode is needed, and also there is this:

What: /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2
              Date: January 2018
              Description: Information about CPU vulnerabilities

The files are named after the code names of CPU
              vulnerabilities. The output of those files reflects the
              state of the CPUs in the system. Possible output values:

"Not affected" CPU is not affected by the vulnerability
              "Vulnerable" CPU is affected and no mitigation in effect
              "Mitigation: $M" CPU is affected and mitigation $M is in effect
              Basically now one can do just this to check info if affected and what mitigation is active... here on AMD system:

Code:
              [B]cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*[/B]
              Not affected
              Vulnerable
              Vulnerable: Minimal AMD ASM retpoline
              Last edited by dungeon; 15 January 2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                Don't forget NVidia GPUs are vulnerable to spectre as well... so that will have to be bench marked as well once they come out with a fix.
                Nvidia drivers 390.12 and 384.111 have fixes to prevent the driver from exploiting the bug in the CPU. it's not an issue of GPU per se. Even gcc and webkit were patched.

Comment

I thought none of these are "release candidates". The "rc" is basically misinformation, as admitted by upstream long ago.

Comment

Has there been any "fixes" to the Display Core code between rc7 and rc8? Monitor detection (sees both my monitors as the same input now) and HDMI audio have been broken since rc7.git4.1 last week on my R9 Nano - did they change the kernel parameter to enable it or something?

Edit: closer looking at this my machine is loading vmware inc "llvmpipe" instead of amdgpu - on rc7git4.1 it does this and revering to 4.15.0-0.rc7.git0.1.fc28 and it all works properly again. Same llvmpipe behaviour on latest rc8.

dmesg shows that it is failing to load the fiji_pfp.bin file - I tried pulling the latest firmware from git, same issue

edit2:
                    purged all my 4.15 kernels and reverted to the latest Fedora 4.14, then reinstalled 4.15 - that seems to have regenerated the initrd
                    Last edited by Grim85; 19 January 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X