Firefox 58 Bringing Faster WebAssembly Compilation With Two-Tiered Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 58 Bringing Faster WebAssembly Compilation With Two-Tiered Compiler

Phoronix: Firefox 58 Bringing Faster WebAssembly Compilation With Two-Tiered Compiler

With the launch of Mozilla Firefox 58 slated for next week, WebAssembly will become even faster thanks to a new two-tiered compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did Mozilla scrap plans for releasing Webrender in Firefox 59?

Comment

Great! So now Firefox can compile javascript of dubious origin even faster into actual exploits.

No sorry folks : I will still keep my NoScript webextension installed for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        Great! So now Firefox can compile javascript of dubious origin even faster into actual exploits.

This is for webassembly not js.....

Comment

WebAssembly is refers to actual programs. Like WebGL Games and the likes. So this seems to actually be goog.
          Not saying that there aren't exploits in WebAssembly also, but the moment you connect your PC to the interwebs, you're already exposed...

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Did Mozilla scrap plans for releasing Webrender in Firefox 59?
            Yeah, it's nowhere near production ready yet.

Comment

I don't think there are any additional security issues introduced with WebAssembly. All the popular browsers already use JIT (just in time) compilation to turn Javascript into machine code. If anything I'd expect WebAssembly to be safer than Javascript, because writing a WebAssembly -> machine code compiler should be far more simple because WebAssembly is far simpler than Javascript. Simple systems are easier to check to make sure they are secure.

I suppose that WebAsm is an addition to Javascript, so in that sense someone could argue that this introduces more lines of code where security compromising bugs could be introduced.

I think that all WebAssembly modules are imported and called from within Javascript scripts. As such, if you are already blocking Javascript, you should also be blocking WebAssembly.

Here are some examples of WebAsm:
              Code examples that accompany the MDN WebAssembly documentation — see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAssembly. - mdn/webassembly-examples

Click the .index files and see how the WebAsm is pulled in.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                I don't think there are any additional security issues introduced with WebAssembly. All the popular browsers already use JIT (just in time) compilation to turn Javascript into machine code. If anything I'd expect WebAssembly to be safer than Javascript, because writing a WebAssembly -> machine code compiler should be far more simple because WebAssembly is far simpler than Javascript. Simple systems are easier to check to make sure they are secure.

I suppose that WebAsm is an addition to Javascript, so in that sense someone could argue that this introduces more lines of code where security compromising bugs could be introduced.

I think that all WebAssembly modules are imported and called from within Javascript scripts. As such, if you are already blocking Javascript, you should also be blocking WebAssembly.
                This.
                Webassembly is, in a sense, "precompiled" javascript. ASM -> ASM translation is easier than language -> ASM.
                For where WebAssembly was inspired from, take a look as asm.js.

It is no more dangerous than javascript. Meaning very dangerous, but still...

Comment

I've been using NoScript all the way until FF57. The new NoScript UI confuses me - instead of simple and fast one we've got one that displays so much unnecessary information and does things I don't even know what they're for that I decided to drop it.
                  Is it possible to use the new NoScript with the old UI?

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                    I've been using NoScript all the way until FF57. The new NoScript UI confuses me - instead of simple and fast one we've got one that displays so much unnecessary information and does things I don't even know what they're for that I decided to drop it.
                    Is it possible to use the new NoScript with the old UI?
                    While I don't have a direct answer might I suggest trying uMatrix instead?

Comment

Working...
                    X