Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Benchmarks With X-Plane 11

Phoronix: 24-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Benchmarks With X-Plane 11

With the next update to X-Plane 11 introducing VR support, I have renewed interest in this realistic, cross-platform flight simulator. It's been a few years since we last delivered any benchmarks with X-Plane, but for your viewing please today is an assortment of 24 graphics cards both old and new, low-end to high-end from NVIDIA and AMD in looking at how this flight simulator is running on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Very good for add new titles* and more 1080p tests

*Maybe someday can add saint row games test, manually of course

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      Michael

Very good for add new titles* and more 1080p tests

*Maybe someday can add saint row games test, manually of course

Manual tests are no chance in hell unless lots of premium members request them.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@Michael,

Thanks again! Your tests were fundamental in my decision when I bought my new GPU a month ago! I'm sure there are more who just never say it.

BTW, thanks also for the inclusion of Threadripper in a recent article the other day; that is the CPU I use daily.

I've followed Phoronix for about a decade now, and I'm impressed by the increased pace of new articles lately. Is that an illusion or are there actually more tests per time period, let's say per month, than perhaps a year ago?!

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          @Michael,

Thanks again! Your tests were fundamental in my decision when I bought my new GPU a month ago! I'm sure there are more who just never say it.

BTW, thanks also for the inclusion of Threadripper in a recent article the other day; that is the CPU I use daily.

I've followed Phoronix for about a decade now, and I'm impressed by the increased pace of new articles lately. Is that an illusion or are there actually more tests per time period, let's say per month, than perhaps a year ago?!
          Year-over-year on average there is no real change in the number of articles... Should be about the same of ~10 news articles per day and usually one featured article (sometimes two) per day. But some weeks are busier than others based upon what interesting tests there are to happen, how busy I am on PTS/OB development, how burned out I am or not a given week, if ad revenues or new premium members recently, any good beer that week, etc...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Monitoring the CPU usage for each individual CPU-thread would probably show one heavily loaded thread and the rest sitting close to idle. Some games/sims built on older game engines tends to work like that and new hardware doesn't really boost performance all that much. Arma 3 is the same. DCS was the same, before they overhauled the engine in DCS 1.5. Pretty sure MS Flight Simulator and Prepar3D is the same as well.

Comment

Interesting test Michael ! Nice to see a different test every now and then. Also really nice to see such a range of GPUs!

The gap between AMD and Nvidia for CPU-bound games still really frustrates me! Why does it get 5-8% lower (5 FPS) performance, even though it's CPU capped. I really hope they find the bottle-neck that causes this, that would really bump the performance of all AMD cards, to better compete with Nvidia.

On another note: It feels like it's time for the developers to do a big profiling session, where they more or less only focus on multi-threading and performance improvements for one release. To see the frame rate dive like that, but still be completely CPU bound, is quite depressing/interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that in any of your tests! Interesting, for sure.

Comment

Only OpenGL 3, wow. But at last it can be played with modest and obsolete hardware below maximum settings.

At last Matt Wagner bitted his tong and embraced multi-treading on DCS, after declaring that would not bring performance benefits...

Too bad there is not a entry level, consumer friendly flight simulator based on Unigine. That would be a blast, although probably would end in another ultra heavy simulator.

Comment

Also, this X-Plane 11 looks like a good case for testing with the "mesa_glthread=true" variable on radeonsi.

Comment

X-Plane has always been heavily CPU bound and threading is still somewhat limited. Threading is currently implemented for scenery loading and processing (the high CPU spikes), AI traffic and a few other minor things. Threading of the rendering engine is something that should take shape in the coming year as it is prepared for the transition to Vulkan/Metal. You can expect the transition to go in small steps because X-Plane will not break 3rd party add ons within the same major version. And even across major version the breakage is kept to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                    X