X.Org Server Finally Adapted To Better Deal With 16:9 & 16:10 Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Finally Adapted To Better Deal With 16:9 & 16:10 Displays

Phoronix: X.Org Server Finally Adapted To Better Deal With 16:9 & 16:10 Displays

In 2018 the X.Org Server will introduce better support for 16:9 and 16:0 ratio monitors!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, I ran into this too. Of course generating modelines is pretty simple. But it's so simple that expecting an end user to do it was always stupid. It was just a one time annoyance that shouldn't have happened.

Comment

I love these kind of tags

FINALLY

Thanks Michael for all your hard work btw.

Comment

"16:0" in the first sentence.

Comment

Not sure why this couldn't have been done 10 years ago, but oh well.

On a somewhat unrelated note, it irritates me how 16:9 became the standard and 16:10 didn't. 16:10 is much more akin to the human field of view ratio (which is roughly 3:2). With the exception of certain games, I never understood people's obsession with going wider.

Comment

16K = 16 x 4K displays! Or up to 32 x 1080p. So X is future proof now

Last edited by dungeon; 18 January 2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Yes, I ran into this too. Of course generating modelines is pretty simple. But it's so simple that expecting an end user to do it was always stupid. It was just a one time annoyance that shouldn't have happened.
              It is not stupid, you just get what is in EDID of your monitor and that is it, otherwise edit it. But some screens have weird EDIDs, PC monitors less, but TVs are usually borked there in various different ways thus require different quirks even per model if you want ootb experience always
              Last edited by dungeon; 18 January 2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

28 years after the EU instituted the 16:9 Action Plan, X11 is finally there. 28 years. Single tear.

Comment

the worst thing is the lake of some resolutions with modsetting driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is not stupid, you just get what is in EDID of your monitor and that is it, otherwise edit it. But some screens have weird EDIDs, PC monitors less, but TVs are usually borked there in various different ways thus require different quirks even per model if you want ootb experience always
                    Yeah, TVs are definitely the worst. But even so, windows displays modes that work just fine that xorg doesn't. Like I said it was just a one time annoyance, but I doubt I'm the only one that had to add a modeline.

Comment

Working...
                    X