X.Org Server 1.20 Gets Another XWayland Improvement: Prevents Overflowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20 Gets Another XWayland Improvement: Prevents Overflowing

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20 Gets Another XWayland Improvement: Prevents Overflowing

There is yet another change for X.Org Server 1.20 that has now been in development for more than one year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael If I get the patch right, it's actually the other way around: they used to alway use region extends. They now wanted to make a performance improvement by also allowing to send damage rectangles, so the compositor only repaints what needs to be repainted. But that could lead to disconnections if arbitrary numbers of rectangles would be allowed to get send, so they restricted it.

So the new feature in 1.20 is actually better xwayland performance in certain conditions

Comment

Hopefully there is soon a release, not that I expect a lot of features, but they should release the improvements made over this long period.

Comment

wonder if Ubuntu 18.04LTS will get 120?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          Looking extremely unlikely with the 1.20 release continuing to be dragged on.... Probably impossible at this point.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Personally, I'd like to see X.Org 1.20 in Fedora 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              Before any server releases there are RCs for 2+ months at least, so likely no.

I would say 'maybe' if there is some RC already, but since that isn't there yet then no

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                Personally, I'd like to see X.Org 1.20 in Fedora 28.
                Ajax has it in his COPR repo now https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...stream/builds/ some other people have more up to date Mesa-17.4 git in there COPR

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Looking extremely unlikely with the 1.20 release continuing to be dragged on.... Probably impossible at this point.
                  That's disappointing. I had hoped for x.org 1.20 and kernel 4.16 in 18.04 LTS. Looks like neither will happen.

Comment

Whatever happened to cadence.

Comment

Working...
                    X