Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 58 Arrives With Continued Speed Optimizations

Phoronix: Firefox 58 Arrives With Continued Speed Optimizations

Mozilla has set free Firefox 58.0 today as their latest "Firefox Quantum" release that continues work on being a performant web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I miss support for the system-ui font, and the <dialog> element.

web browser compatibility support html css svg html5 css3 opera chrome firefox safari internet explorer

web browser compatibility support html css svg html5 css3 opera chrome firefox safari internet explorer

Firefox does still not come with Wayland support, but judging from the issue on Bugzilla it seems to be shaping up to soon be here hopefully. Most of it seems to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Firefox does still not come with Wayland support, but judging from the issue on Bugzilla it seems to be shaping up to soon be here hopefully. Most of it seems to be there.
      I would imagine they can't move forward till after they drop GTK2, which as mentioned in the article, should hopefully happen in Firefox 59.

Comment

Client side decorations? Not in Firefox 58? Planned for 59?

Comment

Can it run Crysis?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
            I would imagine they can't move forward till after they drop GTK2, which as mentioned in the article, should hopefully happen in Firefox 59.
            GTK2 was dropped a few days ago. But, as has already been said in basically every Firefox thread, there's more to supporting a new windowing system than the toolkit used. Doubly so for Firefox, which isn't and never was a GTK application, but a XUL one. They dropped support for XUL extensions in 57, but the browser itself is still very much a XUL application. And getting rid of all X-isms from the codebase was a lot of effort that took years. Wayland support is close now, but GTK was the least of the issues in getting there.

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
            Client side decorations? Not in Firefox 58? Planned for 59?
            CSD entered Nightly a few weeks ago. So yeah, 59 will have them.

Comment

After they have dropped Gtk2 in Firefox 59 beta they hopefully will support Wayland now finally. The bug report is open since such a long time. With the switch of Ubuntu to Gnome Wayland they consider this ticket maybe now with a higher priority. Just yesterday I tested the seperate flatpak branch of FirefoxNightlyWayland on Plasma-Wayland and at least it did run, but input didn't work and the window showed only a blank page.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                Can it run Crysis?
                Probably, try to run a linux distro through some x86 emulator (which has been done), install wine, use mesa software rendering and run it there.
                I would feel a little sorry for your CPU if you decided to try.

Comment

how long to get it available from the repositories?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    how long to get it available from the repositories?
                    That's up to your repo maintainers

Comment

Working...
                    X