Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 59 Might Ship With Working Wayland Support

Phoronix: Firefox 59 Might Ship With Working Wayland Support

Besides Firefox 59 being the release doing away with GTK2 support, this next Mozilla web-browser release might be the one to achieve working native Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hope they start working on vulkan acceleration next

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
      hope they start working on vulkan acceleration next
      That's up to WebRender. And indeed, there are plans for WebRender to start using gfx-rs ( https://github.com/gfx-rs/gfx ) as their backend, and gfx-rs has Vulkan support.

Comment

I almost lost my hope on Mozilla to finally do this step. Even if there are some bugs, we really need Firefox on Wayland. Some days ago I did test the flatpak build of FirefoxNightlyWayland on Plasma-Wayland... it did run, but I couldn't do anything. Anyway, I'm happy that there is some activity now!

Comment

Wow, best news in a while! Bugs are meant to be squashed, and will be as soon as the main support is in (and enabled).

Comment

Does anyone here use the middle button for pasting? I only ever use it on the terminal, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              Does anyone here use the middle button for pasting? I only ever use it on the terminal, if ever.
              Hardly, most mice these days made wheel-click so uncomfortable...

On the topic of Wayland support, great news indeed. With KDE 5.12 LTS committing to Wayland, Gnome on Fedora committing to Wayland, looks like it's finally getting a push.

Comment

All the time. It saves me having to reach for Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V when I can just select the text as I would have to anyway, then slide my left-clicking finger over to paste.

In fact, I use it in Firefox more than anything else... sometimes because it means I can use the selection and clipboard in parallel to copy two pieces of data in one pass. (ie. copy some text with Ctrl+C and then select the associated URL so I can copy-paste the text and its citation URL in a single go.)

Comment

I use it frequently. I almost can't live without it at this point, where any time it doesn't work it gets frustrating and slows me down.

Comment

Why Cairo? I thought Firefox switched to Skia. Can't Skia work with Wayland too?

And in practice I don't expect proper switch to Wayland until Firefox will switch to Webrender to begin with, which will basically replace the whole rendering path.

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

That's up to WebRender. And indeed, there are plans for WebRender to start using gfx-rs ( https://github.com/gfx-rs/gfx ) as their backend, and gfx-rs has Vulkan support.

A pity they can't use vulkano, because they need to work around MS and Apple lock-in jerks (Metal and DX12).

Comment

Working...
                    X