Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fastest Linux Distribution For Ryzen: A 10-Way Linux OS Comparison On Ryzen 7 & Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fastest Linux Distribution For Ryzen: A 10-Way Linux OS Comparison On Ryzen 7 & Threadripper

Phoronix: The Fastest Linux Distribution For Ryzen: A 10-Way Linux OS Comparison On Ryzen 7 & Threadripper

While we frequently do Linux OS/distribution performance comparisons on the latest Intel desktop and server hardware, some requests came in recently about looking closer at the fastest Linux distribution(s) when running on AMD's Ryzen desktop processors. Here are benchmarks of ten popular Linux distributions tested out-of-the-box on Ryzen 7 1800X and Threadripper 1950X systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Once again proving that anybody who actually likes AMD should be overjoyed any and every time Intel makes yet another contribution to the open source ecosystem since if you removed Intel's contributions from Linux and only relied on what AMD did, you literally couldn't boot a RyZen machine to a command line much less have the performance optimizations that Intel has provided here.

Comment

It would be really interesting to see Gentoo in this race, since that should be one of the distributions trying to battle with Clear Linux.

Comment

This is really making me want to have ClearLinux be my daily driver.

Comment

Ok seriously what are they putting in Clear Linux... crack? It's kind of silly that an Intel-based distro is so clearly ahead of the competition. Even on AMD hardware, when it was developed specifically for Intel.

So what gives? I know you did a post recently Michael about trying to supercharge Ubuntu w/ Clear Linux tweaks, but to no avail really, so what's the secret sauce here? Do we know?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Ok seriously what are they putting in Clear Linux... crack? It's kind of silly that an Intel-based distro is so clearly ahead of the competition. Even on AMD hardware, when it was developed specifically for Intel.

So what gives? I know you did a post recently Michael about trying to supercharge Ubuntu w/ Clear Linux tweaks, but to no avail really, so what's the secret sauce here? Do we know?
            Mostly compiler settings optimized for recent CPUs.

Comment

Debian is in many respects ahead of Ubuntu... Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Mostly compiler settings optimized for recent CPUs.
                Yep, that's why I personally would like to see 32-bit distro's disappear. Then we can assume that the lowest common denominator isn't a CPU from 20 years ago, and actually make use of compiler flags for CPUs made in this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  Once again proving that anybody who actually likes AMD should be overjoyed any and every time Intel makes yet another contribution to the open source ecosystem since if you removed Intel's contributions from Linux and only relied on what AMD did, you literally couldn't boot a RyZen machine to a command line much less have the performance optimizations that Intel has provided here.
                  Come again ????

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    It would be really interesting to see Gentoo in this race, since that should be one of the distributions trying to battle with Clear Linux.
                    Possibly, but I have a feeling Clear linux uses both lto and gpo, the later is only available for a few packages in Gentoo and the former is a bit of a pain to get working across your whole system

Comment

Working...
                    X