Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Hopes For Basic Vulkan Driver This Year, NVIDIA To Release Some New Docs Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Hopes For Basic Vulkan Driver This Year, NVIDIA To Release Some New Docs Soon

Phoronix: Nouveau Hopes For Basic Vulkan Driver This Year, NVIDIA To Release Some New Docs Soon

Open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver developers Martin Peres, Pierre Moreau, and Karol Herbst took to the FOSDEM 2018 conference today to share a status update on their reverse-engineering and open-source driver writing work around this unofficial NVIDIA Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nvidia doesn't deserve all this support.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      They didn't ask for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

They didn't ask for it.
        True, but if it wasn't for Nouveau Nvidia users would have no graphics driver when installing their choice of distro.

Comment

nvidia fuck you

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
            Well, it's not for them at all.

Comment

It's easy to say to people, "Just use AMD". I actually only use AMD anymore for my personal PC. I also recommend AMD to everyone, especially if they are using Linux. However, Nvidia support is still important because of the commercial world and new converts. My firm for example, only does Intel for CPUs due to perks of only buying Intel. Mixing and matching isn't always the best deal in the business world, even if it's better for IT.
              Last edited by Prescience500; 03 February 2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Easy to say, "Just use AMD", while not a problem on desktop, exactly how many laptops with decent AMD graphics have you seen recently?
                I kind of expected this year, new mobile and desktop Ryzen APUs and Intel's MCM package with Vega, as well as simple Vega mobile, we just might finally see decent laptops with AMD GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                  if it wasn't for Nouveau Nvidia users would have no graphics driver when installing their choice of distro.
                  You mean they would have no (hardware) accelerated graphics driver.
                  Nvidia actually recommended using the VESA driver: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...vidia_kills_nv

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    nvidia fuck you
                    It was funny when Linus did it and then less funny the next 100,000 times I saw it.
                    FFS, give it a rest and get a new meme.

Comment

Working...
                    X