Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 3.0 Released

Phoronix: VLC 3.0 Released

As expected, the VLC 3.0 media player is now available!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big banner on the linked page says "NOT RELEASED YET !!"

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
      Big banner on the linked page says "NOT RELEASED YET !!"
      It was 9AM embargo time here but then at about 8 I seen other sites posting about it and also referencing that URL, so did it at that point - a few minutes before 9.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Awesome update!

Comment

Does that thing finally work correctly? I use it for a long time now (since v0.x), but sadly it often messed up in a few corners. HW accel, some codecs not working, different shortcomings form platform to platform. mpv seems to be a better solution meantwhile for a bunch of cases, and for audio are plenty of solutions out there.
          I'll still install it, it's by far not a bad SW, but sadly there are some caveats that hardly ever seem to get fixed.

"And there is nothing you can do about it."

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Does that thing finally work correctly? I use it for a long time now (since v0.x), but sadly it often messed up in a few corners. HW accel, some codecs not working, different shortcomings form platform to platform. mpv seems to be a better solution meantwhile for a bunch of cases, and for audio are plenty of solutions out there.
            I'll still install it, it's by far not a bad SW, but sadly there are some caveats that hardly ever seem to get fixed.

"And there is nothing you can do about it."

Some codecs not working? But VLC was praised for years because it could handle every file format due to the included codecs... Is that no longer the case then?

Comment

Once FFMPEG 3.5 is released later this year, VLC 3.X will be in a good spot with newer GPU hardware and video formats that go beyond 1080P. Unfortunately, that is a long long long long way away, so VLC will likely be on 3.1 or 3.2 by the time that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Some codecs not working? But VLC was praised for years because it could handle every file format due to the included codecs... Is that no longer the case then?
                We're in a new generation of video tech that Linux just doesn't work with yet. VLC is just fine for stuff from 2006, but worthless for stuff from 2016. Use it on Windows and it pretty much works because support is already built in via DirectX, while Linux is trial and error. (Mostly error!)

Comment

The swiss army knife of media soldiers on!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's a Windows vs. Linux thing.

On Windows, VLC is one of the best, because it bundles the FFMPEG implementations of all of the codecs that are notoriously troublesome to get setup and working together (Hence the decision to use ffdshow for most of the heavy lifting in packs built around MPC-HC, like CCCP.) and the stuff it doesn't bundle comes with the OS.

On Linux, VLC doesn't have that benefit, often lags when it comes to supporting the newest codecs that Just Work™ on Windows, and didn't have support for using GStreamer plugins for the longest time, making it more complicated for end users to add patented codecs. (I'm still not 100% sure it does support GStreamer. Google was unclear.)

Comment

Working...
                    X