GNOME Shell Gets macOS-Like Ability To Close Apps From The Alt-Tab Switcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell Gets macOS-Like Ability To Close Apps From The Alt-Tab Switcher

Phoronix: GNOME Shell Gets macOS-Like Ability To Close Apps From The Alt-Tab Switcher

Taking care of a nearly eight year old feature request, GNOME Shell's Alt-Tab switcher has picked up the ability to close applications, similar to the functionality Apple offers with macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There is now a shortcut there is now a shortcut to quit an application
    Do I feel a little more inconsistency on defaults? (Alt-F4 to normally close windows but Alt-Q to close them there)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Do I feel a little more inconsistency on defaults? (Alt-F4 to normally close windows but Alt-Q to close them there)
      I believe Alt+F4 is the shortcut to close a window. Alt+Q to close would be the shortcut to completely close an application (just like Cmd+Q on macOS).

Comment

Now can we please have gesture for closing apps?

Comment

In KDE, a similar function is after hovering the mouse pointer in the up left corner, you can close any of the shown windows by clicking on the red close button on their respective miniatures.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            In KDE, a similar function is after hovering the mouse pointer in the up left corner, you can close any of the shown windows by clicking on the red close button on their respective miniatures.
            That has been present in Gnome Shell from the very first version. This is about the Alt+Tab switcher, not the overview mode.

Comment

Hopefully one day a decent desktop environment might be built into the Alt-Tab switcher. I don't mind only using 5% of the screen if it is usable harharhar

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Huh? Using Plasma 5.12 here but I don't see a red close button anywhere on the miniatures in the Alt-Tab switcher. I do see them on miniatures of the Present Windows feature, but that' not what the article is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Huh? Using Plasma 5.12 here but I don't see a red close button anywhere on the miniatures in the Alt-Tab switcher. I do see them on miniatures of the Present Windows feature, but that' not what the article is about.
                  If you closely inspect my earlier comment, you will see that I didn't mention Alt+tab. And that I mention a similar function.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    Now can we please have gesture for closing apps?
                    Easystroke?

Comment

Working...
                    X