KVM For Linux 4.16 Brings AMD SEV, Exposing More AVX-512 Features To Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVM For Linux 4.16 Brings AMD SEV, Exposing More AVX-512 Features To Guests

Phoronix: KVM For Linux 4.16 Brings AMD SEV, Exposing More AVX-512 Features To Guests

The Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) updates have finally been submitted for the Linux 4.16 kernel, which were delayed due to an illness by the subsystem's maintainer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are lots of very exciting things coming to KVM and Xen, such as support for shared Intel integrated GPU passthrough with guest frame buffer redirection back to a host app window. I got to try it out the other day:

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      There are lots of very exciting things coming to KVM and Xen, such as support for shared Intel integrated GPU passthrough with guest frame buffer redirection back to a host app window. I got to try it out the other day:

I has been waited more than a year for that, maybe two years. Finally...

How the performance compared to native? Do you haz benchmarks?

White background with dark gray and pink characters in a shell? My eyes are bleeding! Do you have some issue with viewing certain colors or what? It's very disgusting for me, even non-green letters are disgusting for me :P
      Last edited by timofonic; 10 February 2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I has been waited more than a year for that, maybe two years. Finally...

How the performance compared to native? Do you haz benchmarks?

White background with dark gray and pink characters in a shell? My eyes are bleeding! Do you have some issue with viewing certain colors or what? It's very disgusting for me, even non-green letters are disgusting for me :P
        That is the script I made to launch the VM w/ passthrough + dmabuf and bridged networking. The syntax code coloring is within the gedit text editor. The black window with white text is the terminal.

It works but there are some occasional stability issues, so more baking is needing before going full upstream.

Yes I did run some benchmarks with Unigine Tropics so far:

The other day I tested out out of tree patches to the Linux kernel and QEMU that enable Intel GVT graphics virtualization that enables sharing an integrated Intel
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 11 February 2018, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X