No announcement yet.

Libinput 1.10 Released With Better Palm Detection, Drops Touchpad Hysteresis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput 1.10 Released With Better Palm Detection, Drops Touchpad Hysteresis

Phoronix: Libinput 1.10 Released With Better Palm Detection, Drops Touchpad Hysteresis

Red Hat's Peter Hutterer has announced the release of libinput 1.10, the latest feature release of this input handling library used by Wayland-based Linux desktops and optionally by those still using the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and optionally by those still using the X.Org Server
    Optionally? Those still using?

Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      Optionally?
      Yes. Thank goodness it's optional on X, because libinput's touchpad handling is pretty bad when compared to xf86-input-synaptics. I'm currently using libinput on X for everything (including touchscreen) except the touchpad, cause it's unbearable and seems like it's one of those "anti-configuration options" projects

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Optionally? Those still using?

Seriously?
        That's just bad wording, don't worry. Libinput is optional, especially on Xorg. Otherwise, yeah, a good chunck of Linux users uses wayland as a daily driver. I personnally encountered a few KDE bugs that prevent me from making the switch, but it's getting there

Awesome work towards a better, standardized input library, nonetheless. It's just a shame to depend on the compositor for configuration (AFAIK), but on the other hand, it's nice to get rid of xorg.conf's nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

That's just bad wording, don't worry. Libinput is optional, especially on Xorg. Otherwise, yeah, a good chunck of Linux users uses wayland as a daily driver. I personnally encountered a few KDE bugs that prevent me from making the switch, but it's getting there
          Bad wording indeed. Got it now. Sorry for the excessive reaction.

I still think "those still using" Xorg are the vast majority though. And it's understandable when you have tried Wayland. It's just useless for now with super user rights. It breaks the graphics and Synapse doesn't load unless specifying the display. I can manage through these but the beginner certainly won't.

Comment

Thank goodness for disabling hysteresis!

I do not understand why libinput has to go through experiments like these to iron out small flaws, when the code for xf86-input-synaptics is open source, time-tested, and works perfectly. I would just port the logic from the synaptics driver and enable it whenever a synaptics touchpad is detected, and save users from an annoying experience as libinput tries to catch up on usability and inevitably ends up with something slightly different to synaptics anyway.

Unless the reason is licensing...
            Last edited by ⲣⲂaggins; 14 February 2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X