Airtop2 Inferno Offers i7-7700K + GeForce GTX 1080 While Being Fanless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airtop2 Inferno Offers i7-7700K + GeForce GTX 1080 While Being Fanless

Phoronix: Airtop2 Inferno Offers i7-7700K + GeForce GTX 1080 While Being Fanless

Two years ago we reviewed the CompuLab Airtop as an interesting, industrial-grade, fanless PC that packed in high-end hardware of the time and worked out great initially and continues doing a phenomenal job at passively cooling the PC while running in our benchmark lab. CompuLab has now announced the Airtop2 and Airtop2 Inferno that is an even more impressive cooling feat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is an AMD version planned? Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    up to 64GB of DDDR4,

Comment

tildearrow: I was planning on buying the original Airtop but didn't because they only supported NVidia cards. I'm not hopeful

You can order an Airtop 2 without the NVidia, discrete graphics card and it will use the onboard Intel graphics. Obviously the system would be far less capable for gaming if you did that though.

The NSG-S0 will be a future option for people who want a very high performance, fanless, AMD gaming systems:

Comment

Honestly, that's actually a pretty impressive system for the price, when you consider the fact it's passively cooled, tiny, and the inflated prices of hardware right now. I don't really understand why they put a 7700K in it though - I think a non-K would've made more sense. It's cheaper, you don't want to OC anyway, and the slightly lower clocks would make thermal regulation a bit easier.

Comment

Maybe Inferno wasn't the best choice of names. I think of it melting through my desk.

Comment

Would hold my wallet until I see some benchmarks, there is no way that heatsink can dissipate continous 300W power draw, chances are it's gonna throttle substantially.
            IIRC there are actual fanless high performance cases out there, but their heatsinks weight in neighbourhood of 10kg.

Also, forget about 0db, once you remove fan noise from GPU, you start hearing coil whine from GPU.

Comment

The 7700k is basically irrelevant now. Why would you want 2/3 the cores and lower frequencies?

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
                The 7700k is basically irrelevant now. Why would you want 2/3 the cores and lower frequencies?
                Price?

Chip availability?

TDP?

Socket compatibility with the custom board they designed?

7700K is still a great chip and perfectly suited for gaming. Very few video games appear to be making great use of these 6+ thread chips.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  Would hold my wallet until I see some benchmarks, there is no way that heatsink can dissipate continous 300W power draw, chances are it's gonna throttle substantially.
                  IIRC there are actual fanless high performance cases out there, but their heatsinks weight in neighbourhood of 10kg.

Also, forget about 0db, once you remove fan noise from GPU, you start hearing coil whine from GPU.
                  Correct about 0dB. Should read 0dB cooling. There was a concrete effort to design the motherboard to be quiet, but the graphics is off-the-shelf so it may have some coil-whine.

For thermal performance no need to go far. Phoronix did a thorough test on the first generation. See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...op-linux&num=3
                  With a single layer air-tube Airtop2 dissipates 120W from the GTX1060 graphics side (actually peak 150W+ but that's another story). 180W is not far-fetched with double air-tubes.

Best regards,
                  Irad Stavi
                  Compulab

Comment

Literally cool product, but they lost me at Unbuffered Non-ECC memory. What is the point of a rugged design with ability to operate in 70C ambient conditions, with a Xeon and 7 display heads, and no ECC?! Did the designer not recognise that operating RAM at +50C from typical ambient is significantly increasing odds of failure? I hope this board supports high CAS refresh rates!
                    Last edited by linuxgeex; 15 February 2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X