Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.11 Alpha Released With Many Toolkit Additions

Phoronix: Qt 5.11 Alpha Released With Many Toolkit Additions

Hitting right on time even when the branching was running one week late is the first alpha release for the upcoming Qt 5.11 tool-kit update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never understood why QGridLayout does not allow rows and columns to be added and removed (in the middle) and changing the child widget of a cell, and absolutr width and height of rows and columns. Makes it really an inflexible tool and very surprising in a widget set that usually provides a lot of fine grained control. This should be fixed

Comment

And still KDE Plasma 5.12 is not even compiled with Qt 5.10 as I've seen in daily builds of Kubuntu 18.04.

Comment

Kubuntu takes a lot of time to upgrade Qt versions, that's why there was so many bug in plasma from ppl using that distro (me included)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          And still KDE Plasma 5.12 is not even compiled with Qt 5.10 as I've seen in daily builds of Kubuntu 18.04.
          Originally posted by mcloud View Post
          Kubuntu takes a lot of time to upgrade Qt versions, that's why there was so many bug in plasma from ppl using that distro (me included).
          Yeah, it's hard if you're trying to use 5.10 features; I'm having fun playing with the new visualisation stuff... don't try source build/install of 5.10 over your Kubuntu... been there done that

But hell, I've been fiddling around trying to fix a date stamp bug in Akregator that's been shitting me to death - this requires trying to build kde-pim in Neon and it's dependency hell.
          No wonder they don't like upgrading Qt versions. (oh, and just for the record, Kubuntu 17.10 is currently 5.9.1 and Neon is 5.9.3)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            My impression is that Qt and KDE used to be very tight pals, but nowadays, new Qt releases result in KDE breakage that needs time to get fixed. You can't just compile KDE against more recent Qt and expect it to work.

I don't know if this is due to Qt having started to not pay too much attention to KDE anymore, or KDE having less and less developers available. Or both...
            Last edited by RealNC; 21 February 2018, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I don't know if this is due to Qt having started to not pay too much attention to KDE anymore
              They're covering quite a lot of ground with Qt these days with a small number of people. I guess that they need to pay the bills... I'm glad to see them getting some design wins in the embedded space and happy that is paying off for Linux, but yes, it appears to be a bumpy ride for KDE.

Comment

Come on...

"Users of Kubuntu 17.10 can now upgrade via our backports PPA to the 2nd bugfix release (5.12.2) of the Plasma 5.12 LTS"

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  My impression is that Qt and KDE used to be very tight pals, but nowadays, new Qt releases result in KDE breakage that needs time to get fixed. You can't just compile KDE against more recent Qt and expect it to work.

I don't know if this is due to Qt having started to not pay too much attention to KDE anymore, or KDE having less and less developers available. Or both...
                  Your comment reminds me of a discussion with qt and kde dev's about kwayland vs qtwayland and qt dev's willing to cooperate. https://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/06/13/n...api-qtwayland/

Looks like the kde dev's went with qtwayland. Qtwayland is already used in phones with sailfish and I imagine it will be used with lxqt, budgie as well (is Unity 8 and qt a thing?). Now they got time for kwin and glorious vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Heyoka View Post
                    They're covering quite a lot of ground with Qt these days with a small number of people. I guess that they need to pay the bills... I'm glad to see them getting some design wins in the embedded space and happy that is paying off for Linux, but yes, it appears to be a bumpy ride for KDE.
                    Let's hope they get some recruits with google summer code qt team has some suggested projects : https://wiki.qt.io/Google_Summer_of_.../Project_Ideas

Comment

Working...
                    X