Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Terror 4.3.3 Released, An Ioquake3-Powered Game Still Going

Phoronix: Urban Terror 4.3.3 Released, An Ioquake3-Powered Game Still Going

Many ioquake3-powered games like OpenArena, Smokin' Guns, World of Padman, and others have faded away or at least not put out a new release in a number of years, but I was surprised this morning waking up to a new Urban Terror release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    Kind of glad I dual boot my Linux lappy with Wintendo 10 these days. Gaming under Linux is even less exciting than it used to be.
    I like that term; "wintendo" I hadn't heard it before. I myself have a wintendo 7 system.

Windows has got so bad now in terms of control and privacy, that it's unlikely I will have a wintendo system in the future. Windows now feels like a mini, personally-assigned policeman or spy that I voluntarily accept into my home.

Comment

I still play this game. It's easy on the hardware and is fast paced. I'm not looking forward to their unreal engine release, especially if it runs poorly on linux.

Comment

uhm.. I used to play it sometime 2003-2004 maybe... was still Q3A mod though not a standalone game.

IY 2018 I am wondering WHY would anyone bother with it. No physics to talk about, no ballistics, animations are weird-looking, graphics itself is primitive by modern standards. It can run on a potato obviously but there are more advanced free games that also do that. Waste of time.

Comment

You have any good alternatives to offer up ?

Comment

Brink, Team Fortress 2, OpenJK, Project Reality, Unreal Tournanent (UT4 build, not the original from nineties), Tribes:Ascend, Warface, Warsow, Black Squad.. just a few I've tried over past few years.

Some may work on Linux over Wine or even have native client, some may not. AFAIK all are free to play. Personally I consider everyone insisting playing on Linux nutcases. You use best-fitting OS (driver support, game selection) or you can be anal-retentive and suffer for it..

Btw.paid commercial games tend to have better quality, with some exceptions.
            Last edited by aht0; 03 March 2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X