Steam Survey Purports A 0.28% Linux Gaming Marketshare For February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Survey Purports A 0.28% Linux Gaming Marketshare For February

Phoronix: Steam Survey Purports A 0.28% Linux Gaming Marketshare For February

With the start of a new month comes a new batch of Steam Survey results from Valve... For February 2018 they are reporting a 0.28% marketshare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dungeon's formulae always works - when chinese goes down linux goes up and the opposite

Simplified Chinese 63.93% -3.46%
    Linux gained +0.03% same like Windows XP 32bit, 32bit are generally on raise - Windows 7 32bit is like OSX in whole. So, Linux needs to beat XP 32bit and OSX needs to beat 7 32bit

Still 32bit Windows versions beats OSX and Linux altogether
    Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

fake news, haven't had been asked to take survey in months

Comment

It is not fake news, it is just that China towns are predominant. Who knows, maybe they will buy Valve in the end
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Dungeon's formulae always works - when chinese goes down linux goes up and the opposite

Linux gained +0.03% same like Windows XP 32bit, 32bit are generally on raise - Windows 7 32bit is like OSX in whole. So, Linux needs to beat XP 32bit and OSX needs to beat 7 32bit

Still 32bit Windows versions beats OSX and Linux altogether
          Windows 10 only has 26% and that the only one that i'm watching. Microsoft is trying to turn PC gaming into a netflix service, That might work with xbox but it's not going to work with PC.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

Windows 10 only has 26% and that the only one that i'm watching. Microsoft is trying to turn PC gaming into a netflix service, That might work with xbox but it's not going to work with PC.
            Why are you watching that? M$ is utter monopol since decades ago, so whatever they do will largely (from our Linux minor percantage POV) succeed somewhere

They are not trying to turn PC gaming into anything, they just gave and investigate interesting options for minorites If something succeed - fine, if it does not - who cares
            Last edited by dungeon; 02 March 2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Why are you watching that? M$ is utter monopol since decades ago, so whatever they do will largely succeed somewhere

They are not trying to turn PC gaming into anything, just gave and investigate interesting options for minorites If something succeed - fine, if it does not - who cares
              Windows 10 store has $10 a month subscription plan that includes 100 free games (first month free). I just bought Mad Max on steam for Linux $10 recently . I could of just got it on microsoft store sub for free since it's I see Mad Max included in the list of 100 game.

I see an Eve online ad here to play for free windows and mac. I already have a copy that is wine compatible. Anyway Eve online also has a sub plan on steam and each plan is more then $10 for just one game. I think the gaming market is going to crash now.

Comment

Well you have Playstation Plus $5 per month, for that you can pick 2 games per month for free... it is not exaclty free but is near that. Plus every month another game is entirely free... Bloodborne exclusive is now $0 with Plus, otherwise costs $60... that is amount for entire Plus subscription per year.

I don't see how giving so much games for free or near free would crash anything Say for $100 a year, you can get about 50 games even on PS4... most for free and couple you can wait deal to become dirt cheap or something ;D Only what could crash is your time as you don't have time to play all these or your controller might break Plus is optional no one is pushing you to pay anything anyway, so
                Last edited by dungeon; 02 March 2018, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Well this just shows that Valve still has serious problems in collecting that data. The Steam survey figures do not correspond with any other survey while "the other" surveys largely correspond. You can basically go to any other survey site they all come up with figures like: Linux: between 1.4-5 %, MacOS: 2-10%, Windows: 75-96.6%. Even the W3Schools counter, that is only interested in the web-usage, comes up with figures that correspond with these.

Statistically speaking is the Steam survey an outlier and should be disregarded.

Comment

Last time i got Steam Survey was 1.5 years ago. I even changed my system in that time frame but it didn't show up.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X