Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina Desktop 2.0 Is A Big Overhaul, Fully Leveraging QML

Phoronix: Lumina Desktop 2.0 Is A Big Overhaul, Fully Leveraging QML

The Qt5-written, BSD-focused Lumina Desktop Environment is receiving a big overhaul with its forthcoming 2.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Goes without saying....but please benchmark this when you can. Lumina 1.x vs 2.x and Gnome vs KDE vs Lumina 1.x vs 2.x

Comment

Linux is moving towards Wayland.
      TrueOS is stuck with X.Org and Lumina Desktop.
      Lumina Desktop is built on X.Org, its not Wayland.

Comment

Wow, just looking at some screenshots from back in November (https://lumina-desktop.org/screenshots/) and they've really come a long way!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Is there any point to this other than "I <3 Wayland!"?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Lumina Desktop is built on top of Qt, which supports Wayland fine.
            Dropping the usage of any other x-dependent thing like "Fluxbox, xscreensaver, compton/xcompmgr" and providing the same functionality with pure Qt like they plan to do actually brings them closer to Wayland compatibility.
            They might be able to use Qt's wayland compositor eventually when the time comes and TruOs switches to Wayland.

So no, you are wrong.

Comment

There still are applications on gtk2, qt4, lesstif, xlib, xcb, fltk, tk..

Wayland might be more useful on linux phones at first where there is less need for legacy (if linux phones even take off) and where the main draw is security so the tin foil hat aspects are more justified.
              What if russian or german government mandates linux phones for gov employees that do things on phones. This might be the only hope for linux on phones, or for many "normal" people to use wayland.

Wayland on BSD or lumina on linux?
              It may be the future. For now, even most linux users don't have to care except for a few fedora or arch users or the latest gnome ubuntu with the right kind of GPU.

Comment

Found this from a year ago concerning Lumina/Wayland:

As far as I understand Wayland support is coming along quickly, but is still not committed to any of the official ports trees yet (still in a separate development branch). Once it hits the TrueOS ports tree (which will probably be sooner rather than later), I will start playing with it and see what it takes to convert Lumina over to Wayland (should be fairly small – I segregated all the XLib/XCB usage into only a couple files in anticipation of this very conversion). My “big picture” concerns about Wayland though:
                1) Stability: For all it’s eccentricities, X11 is very stable/tested/reliable. Wayland is still highly “crashy” from what I hear and mostly untested technology.
                2) Documentation: While X11/XCB docs are terrible, there are tons of usage examples since everyone has been using it for a decade+. If the documentation for wayland is just as bad, it will be a ton harder to find out *how* to use it since there are almost no real-world examples.
                3) OS integration: X11 is a completely generic, cross-OS standard for graphics, but with Wayland I am very worried that Linux technologies and/or kernel interfaces are going to be start getting quietly added into the Wayland framework itself just as they have done with so many other technologies which are developed in the Linux-space. This will effectively render Wayland on non-Linux systems a no-go, and waste the time of all the BSD developers (myself included).
                -- Ken Moore

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Found this from a year ago concerning Lumina/Wayland:

-- Ken Moore
                  https://lumina-desktop.org/2017/01/
                  tl:dr

they did not even have first-hand info about what Wayland does, but have a ton of paranoia and spread FUD.

FreeBSD devs are more balanced in their approach.

Comment

Go ask Wayland devs and they'll tell you Wayland does nothing because it's a protocol. I can only imagine how many thousands times they had to tell it's not a display server or it's not a 3D desktop.

Is there a widely used Wayland desktop? I don't think so.
                    There's that weirdness about the toolkit being involved. Guess what GTK being stable is a rather recent thing. What if GTK software works and Qt is buggy or vice versa.
                    Accusing Wayland of being linux-centric may be dumb but what about Gnome or KDE. Ok, may be dumb (zombie Solaris is getting Gnome 3)
                    But until Wayland gets more useful (including use by non-KDE traditional desktops, remote/thin clients, non GTK/Qt software etc.) it's only slightly more interesting than Firefox on OS/2 or Android on MIPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X