Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Linux 4.16 Kernel Benchmarks With KPTI & Retpolines

Phoronix: Fresh Linux 4.16 Kernel Benchmarks With KPTI & Retpolines

For those wondering how the Linux 4.16 kernel is performing with regards to the ongoing work around Spectre and Meltdown mitigation in the kernel, here are some fresh benchmark results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, if I see this correctly - 4.14 was much better kernel then recent ones ? why ... and who can fix it ?

Comment

I wonder if kernel 4.14.0 performance equals that of 4.14.24. After all those repotoline/ktpi patches have been backported to the 4.14 branch.

Comment

Originally posted by PLum View Post
        So, if I see this correctly - 4.14 was much better kernel then recent ones ? why ... and who can fix it ?

Or no?

(I'm not very familiar with kernel development... I just assume it looks something like this)

Comment

Yeah, it would be nice to compare let say all on january 5. - kernels 4.4.110, 4.9.75 and 4.14.12.against current 4.4.120, 4.9.86 and 4.14.24.

That would draw more correct picture what happened in last 2 months with all these mitigations
          Last edited by dungeon; 05 March 2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLum View Post
            4.14 didn't have any spectre/meltdown fix at all.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              4.14 didn't have any spectre/meltdown fix at all.
              All current kernels on kernel.org have meltdown mitigation, spectres only 4.4+.

But yeah, 4.14.0 does not have it - that zero is from november

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

All current kernels on kernel.org have meltdown mitigation, spectres only 4.4+.

But yeah, 4.14.0 does not have it - that zero is from november
                The benchmark makes use of 4.14.0 indeed.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I think what this shows is there is a massive regression from 4.14.0 to 4.15.0.
                  Could there have been a mistake? I mean maybe the disable repoline and KPTI flag does fully disable it?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    The benchmark makes use of 4.14.0 indeed.
                    Yep, only benchmark uses that and no one else, so it represents - nothing

Comment

Working...
                    X