Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK Open-Source Radeon Driver Arrives With Vulkan 1.1 Support

Phoronix: AMDVLK Open-Source Radeon Driver Arrives With Vulkan 1.1 Support

When writing about the big Vulkan 1.1 release a few days ago I was wondering myself whether the official AMDVLK Vulkan driver or RADV Mesa-based Vulkan driver would be first to the table with Vulkan 1.1 patches... It turns out AMDVLK won this round, at least by a small measure of time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could someone please briefly describe again how to switch between radv and amdvlk per application?

Comment

Is there some effort to package amdvlk in Debian and other distros?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Could someone please briefly describe again how to switch between radv and amdvlk per application?
        You can run any application with:

Code:
        VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/path-to-your-icd/<some_icd>.json application
        That will load needed driver defined in ICD JSON config.

I suppose there must be some system wide override like that that sets the default driver if you have multiple installed.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Is there some effort to package amdvlk in Debian and other distros?
          They haven't made a release yet have they? So is it good enough to be available outside of dev packages (which is at least the case in Arch)?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

They haven't made a release yet have they?
            You mean it's still development quality? I thought it has been considered released for a while already.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

You can run any application with:

Code:
              VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/path-to-your-icd/<some_icd>.json application
              That will load needed driver defined in ICD JSON config.

I suppose there must be some system wide override like that that sets the default driver if you have multiple installed.
              Thanks!
              On my system (Arch), it's
              /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json (radv)
              /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json (amdvlk)

Comment

Sorry for being late, I was waiting for Intel to publish their patches as we depend on them, but RADV is very much conformant for 1.1 with the published patches:

Deploying and developing royalty-free open standards for 3D graphics, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Parallel Computing, Neural Networks, and Vision Processing

Comment

Mini-benchmark in SS Fusion: RadV is still ~10% faster than amdvlk/Linux, and amdvlk/Windows is still ~15% faster than radv (GPU limit).
                  However, radv is slightly faster than amdvlk/Windows in CPU-limit, roughly 5%.

RX 560, 6700k, Windows 10 CU2, Adrenalin 18.3.1, Linux 4.16 drm-next, LLVM 6, Mesa 18 RC4, Xorg, fullscreen
                  Last edited by aufkrawall; 07 March 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post
                    Sorry for being late, I was waiting for Intel to publish their patches as we depend on them, but RADV is very much conformant for 1.1 with the published patches:

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/...submission_308
                    Good to see compliance submission for recent cards with radv. Do you plan to cover more than just a few?

Comment

Working...
                    X