Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At The Linux 4.16 Kernel Performance With AMD EPYC

Phoronix: An Early Look At The Linux 4.16 Kernel Performance With AMD EPYC

A few days back I provided some fresh Linux 4.16 kernel benchmarks compared to recent stable kernel releases while also toggling the KPTI and Retpoline security features on Linux 4.16 Git for seeing the impact of the Spectre and Meltdown mitigation techniques on this latest kernel while using Intel Xeon hardware. For this latest round of tests is a similar comparison while using an AMD EPYC system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The AMD compiler performance isn't degraded with their Spectre mitigation techniques.
    For a CPU _with_ PCID --- thank you Intel...

Comment

Most of us get applications prepackaged from our favorite distribution repositories (well, except, perhaps, Gentoo users) so, I am curious about the impact the mitigation needed for Intel processors will have overall. I know that we may end up compiling bits here and there, like Michael does, but there are still things most of us are not going to touch, like GUI, glibc and some other libraries that would affect performance on AMD machines. Would it be the case to ask distro maintainers to have prepackaged apps with different binaries for Intel and AMD or the impact is so negligible that it is not worth the effort?

Comment

Working...
      X