Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone TP02-M2: An Aluminum Heatsink For Cooling An M.2 SSD

Phoronix: SilverStone TP02-M2: An Aluminum Heatsink For Cooling An M.2 SSD

While SilverStone is mostly known for their beautifully crafted computer cases, in addition to their range of power supplies and other enthusiast products they have also offered a number of cooling products over the years. Their latest addition to their cooling product line is the TP02-M2 that is an aluminum alloy heatsink for cooling M.2 solid-state drives.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That pad is too thick. 0.2mm adhesive pad should be enough for the heatsink and even better for lowering temp.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      With theh 960 EVO the temperatures were

Comment

Looks to me that it could lower the temperature even more if Samsung didn't have put a sticker over the chips. Obviously you could kiss goodbye your warranty if you remove that sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Looks to me that it could lower the temperature even more if Samsung didn't have put a sticker over the chips. Obviously you could kiss goodbye your warranty if you remove that sticker.
          I don't read any "Warranty void if removed" on that sticker, I don't think that removing it makes you lose your warranty, but you need to keep it for the serial number. I don't know how much it affects a cooler's efficiency but I removed the one on my SSD when I put a cooler on it (passive cooler provided with my Asus Zenith motherboard, maybe more a cosmetic thing than a good cooler).

Comment

I can't speak to the drive in question, but a number of NVMe SSD vendors have used a thick metal foil sticker, intending the sticker itself to act as a heatsink.

Comment

Obviously you could kiss goodbye your warranty if you remove that sticker.
              Why? When you remove the screen protection your smartphone has on when you get it, in doesn't void your warranty.

Comment

I just removed sticker from mine, don't think they can actually void your warranty, not in the EU anyway (they can't void warranty for sealed screw-heads on GPUs either, but as long as most people think so it works as intended).

Comment

There is also the EKWB M.2 heatsink with radiators on both side of the ssd : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black . It has steel clips instead of rubber bands, and although was a pain to assemble has a much tighter fit then i see on this one. This one i see has already cut to size thermal pad , on ekwb one u have to cut them to size and are narrower then the heatsink. The bigger change was for my 960 EVO from 60-65 to 56 degree when gaming because it's under gpu. For the other ssd i have Crucial MX300 i can say it didn't really make a difference since it never reached temperatures over 50 degree. Bought them because they look good and had my motherboard picture on description ;>

Comment

I imagine these heatsinks really only make sense to those who overclock their SSDs or have no airflow going to the SSD. For most people, a product like this is way overkill, and may inhibit your expansion options.

Comment

Working...
                    X