Firefox 59 Prepped For Release: Nukes GTK2 Code, Still Prepping For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 59 Prepped For Release: Nukes GTK2 Code, Still Prepping For Wayland

Phoronix: Firefox 59 Prepped For Release: Nukes GTK2 Code, Still Prepping For Wayland

Mozilla's Firefox 59.0 is now available to download from the FTP server ahead of the official announcement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When firefox will be wayland ready?

Comment

Still no quantum render

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        As the Article describes it, it seems Version 59 was the point Mozilla were going to have Wayland "ready" but did not for obvious reasons. So by the writing I assume that Mozilla aim to "stabilize" the code for Wayland as much as possible and when it's REALLY stable it will be announced for real.

Technically it's ready now, you can compile it with Wayland enabled...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          They aimed for 59 but was postponed because not ready yet. So most of the work is done but a few bugs remains.
          Hopefully will be done for version 60 which should arrive in 6 weeks I guess.
          See the metabug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134
          14 open bugs.

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
          Still no quantum render
          The metabug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311790
          I look forward to it and believe it will be amazing!

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
          The road to GTK3, Wayland and GNOME decoration standards is long.
          GTK 3 is done and in use since quite a while.
          Wayland is on the way, was targeted for 59 but failed, but will hopefully be ready for version 60.
          GTK client-side decoration exists but is not enabled by default. Can be enabled by unchecking the "Title bar" checkbox in Customize under the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            Still no quantum render

I think everyone would like to ship it this year (at least for a subset of users with working GPUs) but this being software development, nobody wants to make any promises for fear of having to walk them back.

Overall I would say WebRender is in a similar state to where Stylo was a bit after Project Quantum started. It's all there and working to some degree, and it's dogfoodable; it's mostly just polish and bug fixes, some major and some minor, that remain. There are a few major features that need implementation, such as the DirectComposition/Core Animation support. Progress is nice and steady, and it'll ship when it's ready.

Comment

Are the nightly or beta packages from the Ubuntu PPAs built with the wayland option? That would make sense and allow users to test native wayland support.

Comment

Release notes here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
                  The road to GTK3, Wayland and GNOME decoration standards is long.
                  The road to hardware video accel turned to mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

As the Article describes it, it seems Version 59 was the point Mozilla were going to have Wayland "ready" but did not for obvious reasons. So by the writing I assume that Mozilla aim to "stabilize" the code for Wayland as much as possible and when it's REALLY stable it will be announced for real.

Technically it's ready now, you can compile it with Wayland enabled...
                    We can expect it will enabled by default for Fedora 28

Comment

Working...
                    X