No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Launches With Faster CPU, Dual-Band 802.11ac, Faster Ethernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 3B+ Launches With Faster CPU, Dual-Band 802.11ac, Faster Ethernet

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Launches With Faster CPU, Dual-Band 802.11ac, Faster Ethernet

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is celebrating Pi day (March 14) by launching their latest Raspberry Pi ARM SBC. This though isn't with some new Broadcom chipset with VC5 graphics, sadly, but a slightly revised variant of the Raspberry Pi 3. Meet the Raspberry Pi 3B+...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope they finally put in usb3 in the the 4 generation.

Comment

I wonder if they fixed the issue with the UART being tied directly to the CPU core frequency? Because on the previous models if you change from the default CPU core frequency (which happens for example when you use "force-turbo=1" in raspi-config to get maximum performance or to just turn off dynamic clocking), it ends up messing with the UART in a pretty irritating way.

Comment

Still 700 Mbps short of a Gigabit, but I guess it's an improvement.

The biggest disappointments are:
        • Only USB 2.0 (WTF?)
        • Storage is still accessed via USB 2.0 (again, WTF?)
        • GPU is still VideoCore IV (no OpenCL; only OpenGL ES 2.0; generally quite old & weak)

IMO, the clock speed wasn't its main weakness, and the boost still isn't enough for it to surpass rivals like the ODROID-C2, which is better on all fronts.
        Last edited by coder; 14 March 2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Still only 1GB of RAM? :-(

Comment

Gigabit Ethernet but still relying upon the USB 2.0 bus
            How in the what?

Comment

Still powered over unreliable micro-USB? I wonder if their 'improved thermals' will keep it from instantly throttling on cpuburn?

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                Still only 1GB of RAM? :-(
                With RAM prices this high, this is not surprising. That and it's a minor update.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

How in the what?
                  it's like a usb 3.0 adapter for gigabit ethernet connected to USB 2.0
                  Yes it's designed that way!

Comment

People in here are missing the point, I think. RPI wants to go as low cost as possible. If you're searching for a 64bit ARM computer, rpi-style, there's always Odroid. Their C2 has a far superior video system, and their XU4 has USB 3.0. Both get GbE saturated, and are way faster. Around 50-60$, though, so you pay for what you get :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X