No announcement yet.

Mir Devs Are Still Working On An Example Mir Desktop Session For Ubuntu 18.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Devs Are Still Working On An Example Mir Desktop Session For Ubuntu 18.04

Phoronix: Mir Devs Are Still Working On An Example Mir Desktop Session For Ubuntu 18.04

While Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" is just one month away from release, the developers working on the Mir display server code are still working to get an example desktop session into this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As the focus seems to have shifted to making Mir a wayland compositor base that smaller desktop environments can piggy back off why is there any rush? It's not going to impress many more people if you shove something out that's still a half working thing rather than just making sure it can be working for what people have discused as it's main future use

Comment

scrap -> scrape

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        As the focus seems to have shifted to making Mir a wayland compositor base that smaller desktop environments can piggy back off why is there any rush? It's not going to impress many more people if you shove something out that's still a half working thing rather than just making sure it can be working for what people have discused as it's main future use
        Nothing is being rushed.

"Smaller desktop environments" will want to run under GDM, so we're aiming to enable that (and provide an example). AIUI, this isn't a lot of work and should catch the next Mir release.

When Mir is released it is updated in the Ubuntu development archive.

This release will (probably) land in 18.04 as that is currently the development archive and the Mir release is close to being ready.

Comment

If OBS works with it and the compositor doesnt drop FPS on games It would be perfect.. lets not forget that most home computers are used for entertainment/gaming/streaming etc not as terminals that need to comply with obscure standards only the devs and a small margin of people even know what they are for in the first place..

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

Nothing is being rushed.

"Smaller desktop environments" will want to run under GDM, so we're aiming to enable that (and provide an example). AIUI, this isn't a lot of work and should catch the next Mir release.

When Mir is released it is updated in the Ubuntu development archive.

This release will (probably) land in 18.04 as that is currently the development archive and the Mir release is close to being ready.
            Closed upstream developments won't be accepted by the community and will be forgotten eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Closed upstream developments won't be accepted by the community and will be forgotten eventually.
              No project forces developers to show each developer's own personal "wor-in-progress" source tree, nor licenses require it, why this requirement is suddenly required to be "accepted by the community"?

Comment

Originally posted by papajo View Post
                If OBS works with it and the compositor doesnt drop FPS on games It would be perfect.. lets not forget that most home computers are used for entertainment/gaming/streaming etc not as terminals that need to comply with obscure standards only the devs and a small margin of people even know what they are for in the first place..
                This will basically be the dealmaker for me.

The developers of OBS have already mentioned that they are not going to implement DE-specific code for screen recording and livestreaming because of the maintenance burden, and that until a standard Wayland protocol or extension is available for such needs, there will be no Wayland compatibility in OBS.

if Mir as a Wayland compositor and display server gets adopted widely enough for OBS to support it as the sole means for screen recording and livestreaming under Wayland, I'm switching to a DE that uses it in a heartbeat. I may keep a Plasma Wayland / Gnome Wayland option around for work since I'm used to those environments though.

But until then, I will still be switching to an X session to livestream my Kancolle gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

only RedHat projects are community! The rest need to die

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

This will basically be the dealmaker for me.

The developers of OBS have already mentioned that they are not going to implement DE-specific code for screen recording and livestreaming because of the maintenance burden, and that until a standard Wayland protocol or extension is available for such needs, there will be no Wayland compatibility in OBS.

if Mir as a Wayland compositor and display server gets adopted widely enough for OBS to support it as the sole means for screen recording and livestreaming under Wayland, I'm switching to a DE that uses it in a heartbeat. I may keep a Plasma Wayland / Gnome Wayland option around for work since I'm used to those environments though.

But until then, I will still be switching to an X session to livestream my Kancolle gameplay.
                    I dont know what devs even think sometimes by neglecting simple yet popular stuff... the more non techy users come into a Ubuntu or linux hud in general the more their work will be worth in the long run and also their revenue as devs for such things.

I believe that freesync and audio over HDMI is still not possible with the amdgpu/mesa drivers yet they are like must have features for the average user... but they have done tons of stuff in other obscure parts of the driver that like 10% or less of the people use or will notice that they exist at all...

Comment

Working...
                    X