Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.28 Desktop Officially Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.28 Desktop Officially Released

The GNOME project has managed its Pi Day release of GNOME 3.28...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I hope the Gentoo devs will get this release in a bit quicker than 3.26, which still isn't in the unstable tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I hope the Gentoo devs will get this release in a bit quicker than 3.26, which still isn't in the unstable tree.
      I'm already using it on gentoo.
      I've also actually used all releases between 24 and 28. ( .{0,1,91,92} etc )

I helped to do 25->26 and with some commits on 26->28: https://github.com/Heather/gentoo-gnome
      Last edited by parad0x; 14 March 2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Still haven't found a tablet device where I could run GNOME3 the way it was meant to , on serious note I'm waiting for Fedora 28 to install it on hybrid GPU laptop, with libglvnd and GNOME 3.28 things are looking to be ready more than ever,

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          Still haven't found a tablet device where I could run GNOME3 the way it was meant to , on serious note I'm waiting for Fedora 28 to install it on hybrid GPU laptop, with libglvnd and GNOME 3.28 things are looking to be ready more than ever,
          This is a funny thing isn't it, I'm with you on that. I'm a big fan of Gnome and use it as my primary desktop on Linux. But they quite clearly were going for a design philosophy which had tablet/touch support in mind. And yet even if you want to use Gnome on hardware the way the devs intended, and were even prepared to buy hardware specifically for this purpose, there's no clear choice of what you would buy. There are things you could buy, I've got a hybrid laying somewhere around here that could be used for that purpose, but I couldn't tell you where it is. They thought things were going in that direction and got it wrong.

Comment

This is a perfect example of everything wrong with the Linux ecosystem, namely the perpetually incomplete state of open source software, it seems like it never gets done. No sooner that a version is released they start working on the next version, which usually differs by little more than a newer version number. With Windows based software, the software at some point reaches a "finished" state and then you may have a newer version in a couple of years, when there is some new feature or capability added. With Linux based software you may get something like it was compiled with a newer version of a compiler, some cosmetic changes and that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
              Already in Debian Unstable thanks to Ubuntu.
              So while Ubuntu was doing their own thing with Unity, Debian has had Gnome in it's repositories since 0.22. But now it's in Debian unstable thanks to Ubuntu? https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.28-status.html according to that page, Nautilus 3.28 will be in Debian, was reading that it's not in Ubuntu, due to it dropping desktop icons.

Ubuntu has historically pulled from Debian Unstable, not the other way around. I've seen something similar posted before and thought 'pretty sure that is wrong....'

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                I used it on a Surface Pro 3 for a while.
                It works quite well. however, I did find the onscreen keyboard was only 90% reliable appearing when needed, and I never understood quite how it decided to pop up so never managed to tweak it.
                I also found GNOME depends a lot on keyboard shortcuts (at least how I use it) and that suffered on a tablet but is obviously fine on a 2 in 1.

Over all I found it better touch wise than Windows though, on Microsoft's own device.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                  This is a perfect example of everything wrong with the Linux ecosystem, namely the perpetually incomplete state of open source software, it seems like it never gets done. No sooner that a version is released they start working on the next version, which usually differs by little more than a newer version number. With Windows based software, the software at some point reaches a "finished" state and then you may have a newer version in a couple of years, when there is some new feature or capability added. With Linux based software you may get something like it was compiled with a newer version of a compiler, some cosmetic changes and that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    It works quite well. however, I did find the onscreen keyboard was only 90% reliable appearing when needed, and I never understood quite how it decided to pop up so never managed to tweak it.
                    You can use Onboard instead (this is what I do on tablets) but if you want to use Caribou you need to install two extensions.

Comment

Working...
                    X