Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Open-Sources Sound Firmware, Pushing For More Open Firmware

Phoronix: Intel Open-Sources Sound Firmware, Pushing For More Open Firmware

Imad Sousou, Intel's GM of the Open-Source Technology Center, had some interesting remarks to make during his keynote today as part of this week's Embedded Linux Conference in Portland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So......does this mean I can build that firmware and use that with the Intel HD Audio hardware on my computers? Or is it more like a template/base for building open source firmware?

Comment

Not too exciting, ME source would be.

Comment

Imad Sousou
        Umad bro?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post
          Not too exciting, ME source would be.
          The source doesn't matter without the ability to compile and actually deploy it, which would be kind of hard for current hardware because of built-in protections (OEM signature checks, Intel Boot Guard and so on). You can of course do it the me_cleaner way and try unofficial methods and/or physically reprogramming the chips.

Comment

Oh wow, this is great news!

I was a bit sad when they announced that on newer gens sound support will be provided via firmware, and not open-source driver code. But thankfully they now open-sourced the firmware!

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

The source doesn't matter without the ability to compile and actually deploy it, which would be kind of hard for current hardware because of built-in protections (OEM signature checks, Intel Boot Guard and so on). You can of course do it the me_cleaner way and try unofficial methods and/or physically reprogramming the chips.
              Yes and No. It would be hella useful if it could be audited and we could verify a reproducible build. Double plus good if they take the extra step and put up a bug tracker for people to submit bug reports. Instead of being an unknown it would help with both threat modeling, and patching bugs, a real big win for security.

As for physically removing and re-programming chips. I do that with my bios and me-cleaner. the bios chip is socketed, labeled in big bold letters, and a basic USB flasher that works with flashrom can be had on amazon for under $10. I also have a plugin cable where I can use a clamp to program/dump roms in place. That was another $5 on amazon.

Comment

Cool! What about open sourcing iwlwifi firmware?

Comment

That said, this is pretty exciting. This should make writing audio drivers a lot easier and driver support a lot better

Comment

Many small steps leads to a great leap given time.
                    I really like the talks about opening firmware and hope it leads to more libre firmware.

Comment

Working...
                    X