Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Window/Application Launching Is Coming For Cinnamon

Phoronix: Faster Window/Application Launching Is Coming For Cinnamon

Linux Mint's GNOME/GTK-derived Cinnamon Desktop Environment will soon be able to launch applications faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Title should read "Normal application launch time coming for Cinnamon".

Comment

I dont want to start flamewar, but to me Cinnamon is what GNOME should have been. Clean slick and logical desktop. I didnt feel any slowness comparing to GNOME.

Comment

All this fragmentation in the gnome camp has probably done a lot of damage. Considering Gnome was forked into Cinnamon its a shame that all improvements and fixes have to be done twice.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          All this fragmentation in the gnome camp has probably done a lot of damage. Considering Gnome was forked into Cinnamon its a shame that all improvements and fixes have to be done twice.
          I don't know why they didn't make Cinnamon an Extension to Gnome Shell. However, it's the same pattern we see in other fields, too. Take all those Window Managers or Environments like XFCE, Enlightenment, LXQt, LXDE and so on. They are not different enough to warrant completely separate development, yet they are all independent and much manpower is wasted by reinventing the wheel over and over again.

Edit: Just to have that said: I know the benefits of competition, however, there is an ideal number of competitors which is usually two. If we have dozens of competitors but only a very small Linux GUI market share, it means that there are dozens of products which are not really useable due to a lack of manpower.

In my personal view, an example of this is eMail clients under Linux. There is Thunderbird, which is really good with countless useful addons/extensions but also really slow, and it lacks Microsoft Exchange integration (some people need this for business purposes). There is Epiphany, but it doesn't do some things as good as Thunderbird.
          Then there is Claws and Sylpheed, both basically a bit outdated and each one having parts the other one is missing.

Now, if I am a user and need a subset of those functions/parts, there is quite a big chance that there is not a single client which has all of those functions, because the developers and thus some of the functions are distributed over all the available alternatives. In the end, I have to settle with a mediocre solution, just for the sake of having "many alternatives".
          Last edited by radeon; 16 March 2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thunderbird is to Evolution as Firefox is to Epiphany.

Comment

Originally posted by radeon View Post

I don't know why they didn't make Cinnamon an Extension to Gnome Shell. However, it's the same pattern we see in other fields, too. Take all those Window Managers or Environments like XFCE, Enlightenment, LXQt, LXDE and so on. They are not different enough to warrant completely separate development, yet they are all independent and much manpower is wasted by reinventing the wheel over and over again.
              LXQT could contribute to KDE and Cinnamon could contribute to GNOME, but Enlightenment is built with EFL, which is a totally different toolkit. Besides, Enlightenment is older than GNOME, so if anything, GNOME should contribute to Enlightenment if we follow your theory (Enlightenment was first released in 1997 while GNOME was first released in 1999).

Comment

I wish they would fix the Cinnamon freezing problem.
                It's been more than a year and it's still freezing every 10 or 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I wish they would fix the Cinnamon freezing problem.
                  It's been more than a year and it's still freezing every 10 or 20 minutes.
                  I'm using Mint Cinnamon started from 17 series to this very day with 18.3

Never experienced freeze or something like that. Only one time , Cinnamon crashed and when i removed incompatible add-on it's gone too.

Comment

I have Cinnamon 3.6.7 running under Mint 18.3 64bit on six older computers that are typically 3GHz Intel Pentium dual cores with lower end NVidia cards. I never notice window opening time more than a second for normal applications like firefox on my old machines. For me Cinnamon is a great desktop, as it gives me what I liked about older versions of Windows (e.g. XP), without all the awfulness of Windows 10, and of course without the low quality Windows kernel. I can see how people like Gnome and Unity desktops, as they are both good desktops, but I like the being able to keep my relations happy by giving them something not too dissimilar from their previous Windows desktops. I have almost never experienced desktop freezes in several years, so I hope that Danny3 can isolate his problem.

I do have an SSD on each machine, that may partly account for fast window opening.
                    Last edited by Ray54; 16 March 2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X